"Play demo tape" button.

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

bojster

"Play demo tape" button.

Post by bojster »

I know (but a few know, and I haven't known till I found in on the forum 5 minutes ago ;-) that there is an option to insert a demo tape provided with the level by typing :ist in the menu, but a button to play the demo tape (preferably without any need of 'ejecting' player's tape) would be really handy. Cheat codes are nice, sure, but this functionality would be really, really useful for the newbies, who otherwise have to lose time figuring out how to play some solution tape without deleting their own (or even 'what the hell do I open a .tape file with?' - real life example). So, Holger, please put it somewhere high on your TODO list. :-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I partly agree with you here. But I see a big difference between a "demo tape" and a "solution tape" here.

I really think it should not be *too* easy to play the whole solution tape for a level, and that it should be at least hidden as a "cheat mode". (BTW: Many people ask for hidden cheat codes, and would be very sad if there weren't any... ;-) )

Demo tapes are a completely different thing -- currently there is no real support for demo tapes, but it is definitely planned to be added. I think demo tapes should give a little demonstration how to begin with a level, any maybe a first hint how to solve parts of it, but should never show the whole solution. The "demo tapes" that came with the original Supaplex are a perfect example of what I think of here.

Having a "play complete solution" button for each level in the main menu would degrade many very good levels to mere slide shows -- I'm sure that too many people can't stand the temptation, and after watching the solution tape there is not much motivation left to "solve" the level by yourself.
bojster

Post by bojster »

ok ;-)