Door animation and restarting a level are buggy when Enter key is pressed too fast

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

mat

Door animation and restarting a level are buggy when Enter key is pressed too fast

Post by mat »

Kill a player with anything, press Enter key in a moment the animation is about to begin, and look at the doors. When you want to restart the level after that (also with Yes button), the main menu will appear after starting that level.

If you press Enter after killing the player, and before the animation starts, the game will go back to the main menu without a message about playing the level one more time.
Last edited by mat on Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Door animation and restarting a level are buggy when Enter key is pressed too fast

Post by Holger »

Indeed! :shock:

I have never noticed this, but now I ask myself how I could have overseen that strange misbehavior! :o

I haven't had a closer look, but the reason is most probably that there is a short delay (about one second or so) before the "Game over! Play again?" request opens (to have a little bit more time to see what caused the game over). During this time, the game behaves just like when you have disabled the "play again" request -- wait for a key or button to return to the main menu. But it gets messed up here. :(

This brings up the general question of what to do with keys and buttons during that short delay (assuming that the door behaves correctly otherwise): Return to the main menu (just as in the case when there is no "play again" request)? Use it to answer the upcoming "play again" request (which would then be "yes, I want to play again")? Simply ignore it (which could be confusing if pressing "return" was meant to be the answer for the expected request)?

Nevertheless, this has to be fixed.

Thanks for pointing out this nasty bug!
mat

Re: Door animation and restarting a level are buggy when Enter key is pressed too fast

Post by mat »

IMHO, the game should just skip that short delay and show "Play again?" request. It sounds reasonably.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Both bugs are fixed now:

- pressing a key while doors are closing doesn't cause a mess anymore
- returning to the main menu by pressing a key is not possible anymore when asking to play again is enabled

Thanks again for reporting these really nasty bugs! :)