confedit is not working

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

amirnatsheh7

confedit is not working

Post by amirnatsheh7 »

i think confedit did not loaded at ewj38.ocx
Attachments
confediterror.PNG
confediterror.PNG (7.91 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
Holger
Site Admin

Re: confedit is not working

Post by Holger »

I assume this is due to a missing Visual Basic runtime. See the following note from the"Tools & Utilities" page:
If you should have problems running this program (especially if it complains about missing OCX files like “GGlock.ocx”), the reason is most probably a missing Visual Basic 5.0 runtime. You can install it directly from the appropriate Visual Basic 5.0 runtime installer from Microsoft.

If ConfEdit still complains about components not being correctly registered, manually registering those components as follows should help:
  • open “cmd.exe” and “cd” to the “ConfEdit” directory
  • enter “regsvr32 xxx” for every file “xxx” that ConfEdit complains about
The commands above may be required to “Run as Administrator”.
Unfortunately, I do not use Windows and cannot give any further advice on this. :?
SLAPPYHAPPY2000

Post by SLAPPYHAPPY2000 »

I was actually able to bypass this issue in some directions bundled on the ConfEdit download page, think you have to run the program as "administrator" if I remember correctly.

But, then a new issue presents itself - ConfEdit straight up does not seem recognize newer versions of Rocks'n'Diamonds as Rocks'n'Diamonds :?
I get the attached pop-up whenever I try to set my path to my desktop version of R'n'D... version is 4.3.7.1, btw
Attachments
uhoh.png
uhoh.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Wow, that's strange! No idea what kind of checks Alan implemented here.

Have you tried it with older versions? It would be interesting to know which was the last version that works, and which is the first version that refuses to work, to see which change might have caused this.

But I think I have to face the fact that ConfEdit does not work on any recent system anymore, and should remove it from the R'n'D web site. Very sad, as this was a really cool tool to create and test custom graphics for R'n'D. :(
amirnatsheh7

Post by amirnatsheh7 »

do the confedit remake! holger
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

do the confedit remake! holger
No, you will do the ConfEdit remake!

Go learn a programming language (I leave the choice up to you), practice until you have mastered it, then do a perfect remake of ConfEdit that supports all the new stuff not yet included in the old ConfEdit.

May I ask that you do all this in the next two weeks, please?

I'm waiting.

Please let me know when it's done!

P.S.: :wink:
filbo

Post by filbo »

Holger,

Don't remove it. Just change the metadata around it, make it clear to the downloader that it's a tool that only works on old-Windows and with old-RnD (whatever cutoff version, if anyone makes the effort to determine the cutoff).

That leaves it available for people interested in various sorts of archaeology. Including the 'see what it used to do, make a new thing like it' type.

Is Alan around? Maybe the source could magically appear??