Undo/Redo disappeared

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

ImaginaryTango

Undo/Redo disappeared

Post by ImaginaryTango »

I'm playing R'n'D Jue II, which I realize is not an Artsoft program, but is a derivative. I installed it on a new Mac and copied the configuration from ~/Library/Application Support. (I forgot the exact folder R'n'D Jue II uses.) I also copied over all my files for this and related games in my Documents folder (which seemed to copy correctly because I started at the same level where I left off on the old computer).

The problem is my undo/redo buttons are gone. I've looked at settings and I guess I may have missed something obvious that I may have changed without realizing it.

How can I get my undo/redo buttons back?
Eizzoux

Re: Undo/Redo disappeared

Post by Eizzoux »

You mean the snapshot buttons? You can turn them on in the game & menu settings, along with the save and load buttons. Also I'm pretty sure the snapshot mode should be ON, whether it's every step, every move or every collect.
asdasdsa.png
asdasdsa.png (16.47 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
𒈟
ImaginaryTango

Post by ImaginaryTango »

Eizzoux wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:01 am You mean the snapshot buttons? You can turn them on in the game & menu settings, along with the save and load buttons. Also I'm pretty sure the snapshot mode should be ON, whether it's every step, every move or every collect.
asdasdsa.png
As soon as I read that, I thought, "Oh, that's gotta be it. Now that someone's mentioned it, I remember changing those settings." But I've tried it on "Every Move," "Every Step, and "Every Collection" with out the buttons showing up. I even turned snapshot off, quit,restarted, turned it on, checked, quit, and ran it again - in case you have to exit the game and restart to make sure it takes effect. I didn't see it - and each time I also went into a level to play. Still didn't see them.
ImaginaryTango

Post by ImaginaryTango »

I've had time to look this over. I still don't know what the "real" solution is, but I did solve this in a roundabout way. I still have my old computer on my back desk, so I opened the program there and went to the options screen and I noticed a LOT more options available. On the version I just recently downloaded, the options are more limited. On the one on the older computer, there are, under Game and Menu, a lot of options - so many you have to scroll through them all. Also, on that version with the extra options, the background music playing is blues. On the version I just downloaded, it's more "arcade game" kind of music.

I cannot find, anywhere in the program, a way to get the version number of what's installed, but, clearly, the two computers have different versions on them. On the older computer, the version of R'n'D Jue II has specific options for the undo/redo buttons. It's not something you can set in the version I just downloaded. I suspect, somehow, I got the older version of the program where there are things that are not as easy to configure.

I'd like to find 2 things:
1) Where I can download the very latest version of all the R'n'D Jue games
2) How to find the version number of the installed program.

I suspect that this time, when I searched for the programs so I could download a new version, I ended up going to a different download page and got an older version of the game, where the configuration menu was a rough earlier version.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hi ImaginaryTango, and welcome to the forum! :)

That sounds strange, and I have some questions about this problem:

- Which version of "R'n'D Jue II" are you using -- the latest 1.2.0, or the older 1.0.0?
- Are the undo/redo buttons visible, but non-functional, or are they completely missing?
- Do the undo/redo buttons function normally if you temporarily rename the game's configuration folder?

Regarding the last question, I wonder what you copied from "~/Library/Application Support"? I don't know of any relevant data stored there; at least, the game does not actively store anything relevant there. In fact, all R'n'D derivatives store their configuration data (and all personal levels, tapes etc.) in the directory "~/Documents/<program name>", like "Documents/Rocks'n'Diamonds" or "Documents/R'n'D Jue II".

Therefore, to test your problem case with default settings, please rename "Documents/R'n'D Jue II" to something like "Documents/R'n'D Jue II.temp" and restart the game. Is everything displayed correctly now? If yes, there is a problem with the configuration data copied over from your last Mac. If not, then something else is wrong and we have to do further checks, like re-installing the program itself.
You mean the snapshot buttons? You can turn them on in the game & menu settings, along with the save and load buttons. Also I'm pretty sure the snapshot mode should be ON, whether it's every step, every move or every collect.
Regarding the setup settings for the undo/redo and load/save buttons, this is really only relevant for the classic R'n'D -- it controls which buttons are displayed in the classic panel instead of the stop/play buttons displayed by default. In custom games with custom panels, these buttons can all be displayed at the same time (like in R'n'D Jue II), so these setup settings have no real effect in this case.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

First of all, you are indeed using two different versions of the game -- version 1.0.0 on your old computer and the more recent version 1.2.0 on your new computer. The two versions differ in some aspects, mainly graphically and regarding music used.
On the version I just recently downloaded, the options are more limited.
This has two reasons: First, the new version makes use of "hiding" setup options that are not relevant to this custom game (which is a good thing), and it has graphically hidden the scrollbar, because the author does not like screens which need scrolling (which is not a good thing in my opinion). In fact, there are more options available than being displayed, and you can reach them by using the cursor keys (by just moving down with the "down" key). :roll:

Regarding the version number, you should see it in the window title of the game, but you have to (temporarily) disable full screen mode to see the game in windowed mode to see the window title. There you should see either "1.0.0" or "1.2.0".
1) Where I can download the very latest version of all the R'n'D Jue games
You can find all R'n'D Jue games here (Mac versions):

https://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/mac/rnd_jue/
2) How to find the version number of the installed program.
It's always displayed in the window title bar, which is only visible in windowed mode (of course).

So you probably just downloaded the newer version of the game on your newer computer. Copying over all configuration data (especially level progress and tapes) should work fine nevertheless, but you might want to try renaming the file "setup.conf", as there are some different setup setting defaults in the new version of the game which might not be available for changing in the custom setup menu, which hides some entries. (Should not break things, but you may try this in this case.)
filbo

Post by filbo »

On the main menu of regular RnD, there is an Info Screen option; within that, Version Info shows lots of details about the program version.

Are these menu items omitted from RnD Jue II? Seems like an unhelpful change...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Right, I forgot to mention that: R'n'D Jue II completely "reprogrammed" the info screen, showing no version number (or anything else) anymore (but showing custom things, created by global animations). So it's still accessible from the main menu, but does not show what's expected anymore. :-/

That's why I pointed to the window title to find out the game's version number (which is also faked here, showing the version number of R'n'D Jue II instead of that of R'n'D itself, but this is what we want to know here).
ImaginaryTango

Post by ImaginaryTango »

I appreciate the help, information, and suggestions. It sounds like I had 1.0.0 on my previous computer and 1.2.0 on the new one, then I copied over 1.0.0 to the new computer.

It's working now, with 1.0.0, so that's good, but I also would like to be able to update all the way. The problem is I'm dealing with a lot of configuration for setting multiple systems now, plus fixing problems on some servers as I changed things around. So this will have to be a lower priority for me until I can get what I need for work fixed up and behaving properly. I can change from fullscreen to check the window title bar, but I think, at this point, we know which versions I've been working with and what's been going on.

So I'm not ghosting on this topic - I just might be slow on responding.

I'm currently playing some of the extra level sets on R'n'D Jue II and, on the 1.0.0 version, the UNDO/REDO buttons are there and work. It was while I was using the newer version that I apparently made them vanish. When I have time, I'll install 1.2.0 and see if I can get those buttons back. The level set I'm using does not include solutions for the puzzles and I'm noticing a weird issue. On some puzzles, I've gone back to them (after moving up to the next one) and tried to play the solution tape from when I solved them. It doesn't play. Instead the level is restored to the last time I saved a game on that level.