Animating in MM

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Animating in MM

Post by Eizzoux »

I'm assuming MM has a different animation engine, but the point is...
I'm trying to make a little animation of mirrors just flashing when you rotate them, which could be done if you animate each mirror angle with the linear mode, where the first frames are the flashing one, but the last one is the usual frame. Despite that, MM doesn't really allow that, because it globally syncs all of the same tiles, which is flashing at the start and just keeping the same last frame on all mirrors until you leave the level. Trying to cancel the global sync with 'global_sync: false' doesn't work, by the way.

On other hand, there's yet another special animation feature which is actually good in some cases but can be possibly related to the issue above. When I try to instead randomize the mirror sprites with 'random_static', the game actually keeps the same frame on the same mirrors when rotated. I personally expected any mirror to change sprite every time I click on it, but that isn't the case. It's almost like frame randomization (at least in MM) is sorta location based? Like, the game generates a random seed for frames in specific tiles... I don't even know, but I will provide a levelset that displays both the global sync without global sync from above and frame consistency between changing MM elements.
Attachments
that_one_with_random_mirrors.zip
(5.29 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Animating in MM

Post by Holger »

All things you attempted to do seem to be perfectly valid. However, it currently does not work. :(

The problem here is that the MM game engine, unfortunately, has its own graphics engine, which only shares a few features from the main R'n'D game engine (and only for a subset of game elements).

Sadly, this includes options like "global_sync" and "random_static", and also linear animation mode for mirrors. :(

I will check which parts of the MM graphics engine could maybe use generalized graphics and animation functions from the R'n'D graphics engine (as it already works (at least partially) for some of the other game engines, I think). :?
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Partly related, but just noticed that the log actually specifies MM elements not knowing what is global sync. Strange that I didn't notice before, yeah, but I just didn't for some reason.
heck.png
heck.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 5682 times
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I can explain this. :)

When using the ".global_sync" suffix, you will get no warning and this flag is indeed stored internally for the custom graphics and animations, even though the MM engine does in fact just ignore it, unfortunately.

In your case above (as can be seen in the screenshot), you have used ".global_anim" instead, which is indeed an unknown/invalid suffix, so you get a warning message here.
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Oh, oops, didn't even notice. I have removed it anyways, but yeah, sometimes I'm just straight up blind.
𒈟