Rocks'n'Diamonds 4.3.0.0 Release Candidate 4 released!

R'n'D is always evolving. Check here to see if a new version is out.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Holger
Site Admin

Rocks'n'Diamonds 4.3.0.0 Release Candidate 4 released!

Post by Holger »

The fourth release candidate of R'n'D 4.3.0.0 is available now:

https://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/linux/ ... rc4.tar.gz (Linux)
https://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/mac/ro ... .0-rc4.dmg (Mac)
https://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/window ... -win32.zip (Windows / 32 bit)
https://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/window ... -win64.zip (Windows / 64 bit)
https://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/androi ... .0-rc4.apk (Android)

Or in a web browser:

https://staging.artsoft.org/rocksndiamonds/play

Main changes since RC3:

- removed using level number sub-directories when saving score tapes
- added sending flag for locally saved tape to score server

Please let me know of any findings. If nothing unexpected shows up anymore, the next version could now really be the official release version. ;-)
BryanFRitt

Re: Rocks'n'Diamonds 4.3.0.0 Release Candidate 4 released!

Post by BryanFRitt »

I download the RC, extracted it, inside the new folder ran

Code: Select all

make --debug
then
If you have already tested RC1 or RC2, it would be nice if you could test uploading tapes one more time, and check if everything works as expected. Do do this, just change the following settings back to "on" in file "serversetup.conf" in your personal R'n'D directory:
test.ask_for_uploading_tapes: on
test.provide_uploading_tapes: on
Did that. On 1st run R'n'D said the same number as before was sent to server. (I know I've updated tapes, but probably no new levels played with tapes but I'm not sure)
No crash
all levels were 100% dirt after submission
exited
backed up the ~/rocksndiamonds/stdout.txt and compile output
it asked me to submit scores again. (If last submission was successful, it should skip asking again?)
chose yes again for fun I guess
[no f11 shortcut to exit full screen mode, used alt tab]
It reports same number of files submitted
all levels are 100% dirt
curious as to what would happen if I play one of these 100% dirt levels...
There's an exit on the bottom right, so it's not quite 100% dirt
look like there are no high scores
exiting R'n'D
chose 'no' to (re) submit tapes
levels were back to normal, tried the same level I played when everything was near 100% dirt, but tape was from when level wasn't near 100% dirt (i.e. regular old working level tape)
high scores are back
looks like everything is normal
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

I have two Supaplex folders, one from old engine, and one from the new engine. Does the server know the difference?
Does it matter what folders (, etc...) are named? Is it going by any checksumming?
Life is partially trying to strike a balance between generating new things/ideas, and making sure they are good/organized. These extremes can be said to between gibberish mess and nothing said/done.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

On 1st run R'n'D said the same number as before was sent to server.
That was 1005 tapes, according to the database. (At least two attempts to batch upload all tapes, each uploading 1005 tapes.)
Which level set was displayed when all levels where shown as "dirt"? Was this the expected level set?

And especially: Did you see anything unusual in files "stdout.txt" or "stderr.txt"? Any warnings or error messages?
it asked me to submit scores again. (If last submission was successful, it should skip asking again?)
No, if you started with a fresh ~/.rocksndiamonds directory, there's no setup file to store if any tapes have already been uploaded, so that's perfectly OK here.
If you see a level with size 64x32 with nearly only sand in it, with the player in the upper left corner and an exit in the lower right corner, then you just see an "empty default level". This level is shown whenever R'n'D is unable to load the level it wants to load.
I have two Supaplex folders, one from old engine, and one from the new engine. Does the server know the difference?
What do you mean by "Supaplex folders" from "old engine" and "new engine"? Do you mean the level directory for "classsic_supaplex"? Your tapes inside ~/.rocksndiamonds/tapes do not change between versions.

Again: Could you please send me your files "stdout.txt" and "stderr.txt" after you started the RC version and uploaded all tapes and see only levels with all sand in it? Preferably zipped by e-mail, if possible. That would probably help a lot here.
filbo

Post by filbo »

> - removed using level number sub-directories when saving score tapes

Not tried to run yet: it looks like this switches to the other naming scheme, but does not try to fix existing directory structure. Right?

So, I intend to rebuild the structure by running this, using Larry Wall's Perl `rename` program:

Code: Select all

$ cd
$ rename 's:/(...)/(2021):/$1.$2:' .rocksndiamonds/scores/*/???/*.tape
$ rmdir .rocksndiamonds/scores/*/???
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

Again: Could you please send me your files "stdout.txt" and "stderr.txt" after you started the RC version and uploaded all tapes and see only levels with all sand in it? Preferably zipped by e-mail, if possible. That would probably help a lot here.
Ok... For RC4 this time I got a message saying
CANNOT UPLOAD
TAPES TO SCORE
SERVER
I'm still on the internet, don't remember seeing this message before.
DISMISS
YOU CAN UPLOAD
YOUR TAPES FROM
THE SETUP MENU
LATER
DISMISS
Looks like levels are still there
I quit R'n'D
I attached these files...
based on these stderr.txt I look this up...
There is a ~/.rocksndiamonds/tapes/classic_boulderdash/048.tape with a size of 2043 Bytes.
Attachments
stdout.txt
(34.72 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
stderr.txt
(116 Bytes) Downloaded 227 times
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

What do you mean by "Supaplex folders" from "old engine" and "new engine"? Do you mean the level directory for "classsic_supaplex"? Your tapes inside ~/.rocksndiamonds/tapes do not change between versions.
I was thinking I had separated the two due an 'engine' change or something. It's been a while since I messed with this.
tapes supaplex_01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,95,96,97,98,99 with levels from 'Supaplex_old' folder
tapes sup_level_collection_01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,[09],[10],[11],[12],[27],[77],[78],[79],[93],[94],95,96,97,98,99 with levels from 'Supaplex' folder
using [] to represent additional levelset numbers not in previous list.
I have some of my levelsets named with _ for spaces and some with spaces for spaces. At some point I moved levelsets around and renamed them. (not messing with the tapes directory) I wasn't sure of the 'proper'(if there is one) ways to do things. At some point I just left them how they were and didn't touch them any more.
It's weird that the tapes/levels directory structure/names doesn't match the in-game directory/names; makes it harder to find corresponding tapes[EDIT: and which level a tape goes with], [especially for people messing with it the 1st time] but It does make since going like this. (as long as levelsets are named differently internally)
Guess I'm just ranting on or something now. Time to sleep.
Last edited by BryanFRitt on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BryanFRitt

Post by BryanFRitt »

No, if you started with a fresh ~/.rocksndiamonds directory, there's no setup file to store if any tapes have already been uploaded, so that's perfectly OK here.
It's been the same ~/.rocksndiamonds with whatever been in there, not fresh. It would ask again even if it was the exact same RC and the it's previous run had finished the submission process.
Which level set was displayed when all levels where shown as "dirt"? Was this the expected level set?
At the time, it was showing this for ALL levels.
If you see a level with size 64x32 with nearly only sand in it, with the player in the upper left corner and an exit in the lower right corner, then you just see an "empty default level". This level is shown whenever R'n'D is unable to load the level it wants to load.
It's this default level, although I think it should display an error instead of showing a default level.
It's 'sand', perhaps I should have looked up what the official name for this before calling it something.

A big clue to this default level being shown for all levels, may be in the stdout.txt upload for RC2 post showing it stopping saying "- uploading score tape to score server - uploaded." and started saying something like "Tape NNN: (no level found)"
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

It's been the same ~/.rocksndiamonds with whatever been in there, not fresh. It would ask again even if it was the exact same RC and the it's previous run had finished the submission process.
Sorry, you are right; this was a misunderstanding.

When looking at the other thread, filbo's suspicion of leaking file descriptors seem to make a lot of sense; in this case, R'n'D wouldn't be able to write to the setup file anymore (to mark that tapes have alredy been uploaded).
At the time, it was showing this for ALL levels.
Yes, that makes sense if the game cannot read level files anymore! :shock:
It's this default level, although I think it should display an error instead of showing a default level.
The problem is that usually not being able to read a level file means that there *is* no level file, or that it's broken. In this case, an error message is indeed displayed (but only in the shell, or in the log file, but not in the game), and a fallback to the "empty default level" is made.
It's 'sand', perhaps I should have looked up what the official name for this before calling it something.
Well, it's all the same. In R'n'D it's called "sand", in EM/EMC it's called either "dirt" or "grass" (depending on graphics, but it's indeed a separate game element with same properties, if I remember right).
A big clue to this default level being shown for all levels, may be in the stdout.txt upload for RC2 post showing it stopping saying "- uploading score tape to score server - uploaded." and started saying something like "Tape NNN: (no level found)"
Yes, if R'n'D cannot read a level file, it uses that default level. The real question is *why* R'n'D cannot read or write any file anymore after 1005 tapes.

I think filbo's suspicion might indeed point into the right direction. Here are some messages from the file "stderr.txt" for RC2:
[WARN] cannot read level '/home/bryan/.rocksndiamonds/levels/Contributions 1995 - 2006/Contributions_2002/rnd_alan_bond/003.level' -- using empty level
[WARN] cannot write setup file '/home/bryan/.rocksndiamonds/levelsetup.conf'
So it affects both reading and writing files, but the problem does not occur anymore after restarting R'n'D.

This indeed looks like R'n'D was running out of file descriptors! :-(

I have never seen something like this, but then, uploading thousands of tape files is nothing that happens every day... :-/
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

OK, release candicate #5 is out right now, and should fix that problem (with only uploading 1005 tapes, and also with showing "empty default style" levels after uploading is done).

Please reset those values from "off" to "on" in the server setup config file again, and give it another try, and please let me know how it works for you! :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Not tried to run yet: it looks like this switches to the other naming scheme, but does not try to fix existing directory structure. Right?
Yes, that's right.
So, I intend to rebuild the structure by running this, using Larry Wall's Perl `rename` program:
I hope it also does the opposite direction, as I think I will revert this change again. More about it in the other thread...