Questionable Android Viewport test

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Eizzoux

Questionable Android Viewport test

Post by Eizzoux »

av1.png
av1.png (148.16 KiB) Viewed 11368 times
Once I made a topic with the elements from the game panel being rendered over the game playfield, then later on Holger gave the idea of making some kind of special viewport for the Android version of the game.

That didn't take very long to make, but I'm not gonna upload it just yet, because there's still lots of things I think I should change:
  • the location of some interface elements such as keys, I don't know where else should I put them,
  • also add some buttons for music and sound toggling, snapshot mode and saving/loading,
  • maybe change the border the viewport itself at all, because corners of the level view gonna be pretty much covered by player's fingers if using the virtual buttons,
  • maybe even make the viewports look different on different game modes (Boulder Dash, Sokoban, Supaplex, Deflektor, Emerald Mine and etc.), like in the Sokoban game mode only show time, count of sokoban fields left to fill and snapshot buttons which just fits the game mode perfectly,
  • since the different Android devices has different screen resolutions, there should be different variants for all of them or at least for most of them.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone!

Holger
Site Admin

Re: Questionable Android Viewport test

Post by Holger »

Your graphics set looks very good, and should definitely be added to the Android package as one of several alternative artwork sets that are better suited for tablets or phones than the default R'n'D artwork set "gfx_classic", for several reasons:
  • screen aspect ratio of, for example, 16:9 (can also be relevant for classic PCs when using fullscreen mode)
  • size of the device (the classic artwork is barely usable on phones)
since the different Android devices has different screen resolutions, there should be different variants for all of them or at least for most of them.
To address this problem, I have recently added some new features for the "viewport" definitions, to be able to define dynamically sized viewports. This makes it possible to stretch the playfield over the complete display, having no black borders anymore, regardless of using that artwork set on a 4:3 iPad or on a 16:9 Android tablet, for example.

I have created an example artwork set using these features that I have already tested on my Linux desktop (16:10) and on two Android devices (tablet and phone with 16:9 ratio). But your screenshots look better... :D

It seems that it's time for a new release version, so others can test these new features, too.
Eizzoux

Android Viewport - Editor

Post by Eizzoux »

Alright, here's a little bit better editor. The only things are only left to do are the unzoom and redo buttons and properties spacing to make everything fit in boundaries of the screen. For now these unzoom and redo buttons are just unclickable pictures with no functionality what-so-ever.
ed1.png
ed1.png (196.01 KiB) Viewed 11242 times
ed2.png
ed2.png (268.55 KiB) Viewed 11242 times
Some other plans: Making different in-game interfaces for different game modes and level sets (Emerald Mine, Sokoban, Deflektor and etc.)

Eizzoux

Android Viewport preview video

Post by Eizzoux »

So, here's a preview video:
[youtube.video.link]

Eizzoux

Android Viewport narrow screen

Post by Eizzoux »

Also here are screenshots with the very narrow screen
Yeah, as you can see, for now PLAYING screen kinda glitches out a little bit, but maybe I can handle that.

Holger
Site Admin

Re: Questionable Android Viewport test

Post by Holger »

From what I can see, it seems to work very good! :-)

The graphical glitch (on the right screen border) seems minimal, and seems to be caused by a non-tile-sized PLAYING viewport (which should not happen with a dynamically sized playfield viewport, but I might be wrong here).

Would really be interested to make some tests with your graphics set by myself. :-)
Eizzoux

Android Viewport test 0.1 version

Post by Eizzoux »

Well, I guess, here it goes, not full version for now :D
(download link is down below screenshots)

Download:

Eizzoux

Android viewport on Android R'n'D

Post by Eizzoux »

I realized just now I only sent the resource set itself instead of .APK app with built-in package, so here it is now. Sorry.
Here