Level editor: CE graphics less confusable

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

kjr

Level editor: CE graphics less confusable

Post by kjr »

Do something to the graphics for the CE's in the level editor. When I tell a CE to use another element's graphic, it'd be nice if the graphic was easily identifiable as a CE on the level map.
IE if I use the "rock" graphic for CE 1, in the level editor it looks like a rock with the number "1" scrolling past (or maybe the rock has a translucent "1" overlayed on it)

Glancing at the level , then, I can see which elements are CE's and tell one from another.
kjr

Post by kjr »

Probably the best thing to do would be to adjust the hue and saturation of the colors for each CE.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Currently, you can only see the difference when using the "pipette" tool ("pick element") or (same function) hold down the "Ctrl" key while moving the mouse over the elements in the editor.

A graphical indication for CEs using "standard" graphics would indeed be nice, though.
kjr

Post by kjr »

I don't want it just to identify that it is a custom element, but somehow superimpose the element number on it (at least in the level editor)

I usually have more than one related CE that acts as one, so they look the same. But it's still important to tell them apart while editing.
kjr

Post by kjr »

This idea came to mind while I was thinking of the configuration screens.
Could you supply a bunch of graphics that may/may not be used already, and make it so when you click on the graphic-to-use box (Config 1), it brings up another main screen with all the available graphics (almost like another tab INFO window)?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This would be something like an "element selection window". Could be useful at other places as well. But maybe this should pop up only when holding some modifier key, because else it would be impossible to "paint" in such element regions. (The "use graphic" element selection gadget is just a "drawing area" with 1x1 dimensions...)