snapfield

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Venatir

snapfield

Post by Venatir »

how do i disable snapfield? or maximaze it's power (range?)?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I see no other solution to this than to play around with CEs. I think it's possible actually...
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

The absolutely quickest and easiest way to disable snapping would be to add a CE that does something bad (such as killing the player or increasing needed emeralds count) when "PLAYER SNAPS [THIS ELEMENT MATCHES ANY ELEMENT]."
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Daniel's idea is really nice. An envelope explaining such a behaviour would be nice too, anyway.

If you really want to simply disable snapping, Venatir, I fear that there is no way with CEs. I've just tried to use something like "change to self when snapped by player", but then the element is already gone, and it can't do so much any more.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

A suggestion with many problems:
I guess that it would be possible to make everything out of CEs that cannot be snapped (change when "switched" or "entered by player"), but this would definitely make some elements act very differently.

Example: Sand -- make "fake sand" -- walkable over, changes to nothing when entered
Problem: this looks odd ;)

Example of another problem: You can switch anything by smashing it, so using "change when switched" may result in destruction by a rock.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:The absolutely quickest and easiest way to disable snapping would be to add a CE that does something bad (such as killing the player or increasing needed emeralds count) when "PLAYER SNAPS [THIS ELEMENT MATCHES ANY ELEMENT]."
I would call that "forbid" and not "disable".
Daniel H. wrote:Example: Sand -- make "fake sand" -- walkable over, changes to nothing when entered
Something like that is what I was thinking of. Isn't there any way to animate it when it's being entered?
Venatir

Post by Venatir »

tnx every1
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

This may be a feature worth implementing, maybe even per-element. ("This element can't be snapped") AFAIK Snake Bite had some workaround for mushrooms (it wasn't possible to snap them), but I don't know how it works. (Btw, I don't think it had something with the fact that the snake grew, you can snap other edible objects, namely the rat.)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> This may be a feature worth implementing, maybe even per-element.
> ("This element can't be snapped")

Something like this could indeed be useful, yes...