players keys bug

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RAP

players keys bug

Post by RAP »

This one is a nasty bug on players keys...

Just play on any levelset and when you press someones player key (like
the red player's keys) the yellow player will move instead of pressing the
yellow player's keys in order to move, but there was no red player here. :?

Holger, can you fix it? :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This is not a bug, but a feature. :-)

If you have configured input devices for more than one player, but play a single-player level, all four player's input will be combined and used to move the one existing player.

In other words: If you configure the cursor keys for player one and the joystick for player two, you can play all single-player levels either with the keyboard or with the joystick (or both) without the need to change the input device settings for the player to switch from keyboard to joystick or vice versa.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hey, wait a moment, it means that I can check out multiplayer levels from within a unique instance of RnD?
In this case I was badly wrong in the Memory MP post! :(
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Hey, wait a moment, it means that I can check out multiplayer levels from
> within a unique instance of RnD?

Not every multi-player level (currently), but in general: yes!

There is always "local multi-player team mode" and "network multi-player team mode". Select "team mode" and several different local input devices for several local players in the setup menu. (For example, player 1 plays with joystick, player 2 plays with cursor keys, and player 3 plays with the keys w/a/s/y or something like that.) Then you can (principally) play all multi-player levels locally. Currently there is a limitation in the R'n'D game engine that all local players have to be visible (else they can't move away), and the EMC game engine does not yet support the "switch to user" key shortcuts like known from original Emerald Mine.

As there are no such limitations when playing network games, I will change this also for local multi-player games and add "switch to user" keys similar to Emerald Mine. This way, every multi-player level can also played locally.

> In this case I was badly wrong in the Memory MP post!

In that you can't test it without a LAN connection? Yes, you can test it locally. But why then the sad smiley? :-o
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I used that sad smiley because it's not my habit to work with a program without - at least - reading thoroughly the program interface. Since I never needed to customize the keys, I skipped that part of the settings thinking that I knew what was there! Furthermore I thought that a multiplayer level couldn't be tested on a single instance for exactly that fact of the screen/players relation: I just considered it to be not possible... bad, bad behaviour inferring things without checking them out...
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Furthermore I thought that a multiplayer level couldn't be tested on a
> single instance for exactly that fact of the screen/players relation: I just
> considered it to be not possible...

The original Emerald Mine solved this by using key shortcuts to switch between players. I'm just about adding this to the new EMC engine (and the old R'n'D engine, too)...