Custom keys (on keyboard:)

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

Custom keys (on keyboard:)

Post by Tomi »

It would be cool to have something like "custom keystrokes". Those could be used to perform any custom actions the level needs (like switching weapons, dropping bombs, selecting which item to be dropped etc.) There would be a change condition "when player hits custom key #id". Of course, the custom keys could be changed in setup per player (in "input devices"). It could also solve the inventory (you just choose what do you want to drop by pressing corresponding key) (well, there would be big CE developer work, but still possible) (still not complete solution, inventory is very welcome).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

The classic R'n'D game play paradigm is that it should be playable using a two-button joystick, which means that there are only four directions and two "action keys". Having such "custom keys" would be nice indeed, but to the price that new people have to learn them to play the levels which use them. (Believe me if I tell you that I get a _lot_ of mails from people asking me how to snap...!)

I know that it could be cool in certain situations, especially regarding inventory and dropping one certain object from a list of collected objects.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

As I think I suggested before, how about holding snap then pressing drop to change item? ;-)

Post by Guest »

Maybe use 'a' and 's' to rotate through different droppable items, along with an icon to indicate the currently selected item and a number indicating how many are left.
Of course, the keys are configurable for those who find a better pair of keys to use.
Diagonal movement using the number pad can also be implemented, with an additional option in the editor so old levels work the same way they did before.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Um... did you read what Holger just wrote?

My suggestion was keeping the 2 button config, but adding an extra feature to it.

Yours was adding 6 new buttons, that would be a bit hard to do on a 2 button joystick.

Post by Guest »

Darkon wrote:Um... did you read what Holger just wrote?

My suggestion was keeping the 2 button config, but adding an extra feature to it.

Yours was adding 6 new buttons, that would be a bit hard to do on a 2 button joystick.
For the joystick, push both buttons at the same time to rotate through items, and press the stick in a diagonal direction to move in a diagonal direction.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Holger wrote:[...] it should be playable using a two-button joystick
Oh. Forgot about that, you're right. Darkon's idea is good though (but a bit uncomfortable), and it would still be great feature if used wisely.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Another idea: add CE change conditions "when player tries to snap me" and "when player tries to drop something on me" (used only on elements that are walkable over/under/inside). That would allow "controlling elements", for example, in Zomis' minesweeper, when you try to snap a mine, it marks (instead of pressing snap key and then drop key as it is now).
Alan

Post by Alan »

Another idea: add CE change conditions "when player tries to snap me" and "when player tries to drop something on me" (used only on elements that are walkable over/under/inside). That would allow "controlling elements", for example, in Zomis' minesweeper, when you try to snap a mine, it marks (instead of pressing snap key and then drop key as it is now).
Pretty good idea! Could be used in lots of other ways to.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Hm, any reason snapping would only be used for objects that are passable? I can imagine it would have uses for other objects too, like sand or some form of solid object that cannot be dug but can snapped or the ability to "snap push" objects.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I think Tomi ment to say these where for two different things,
snapping any element and dropping an item onto a walkable element.

The snapping idea is pretty good though.....say you had a custom boulder that you normally push by pressing it...but if you snap it, it makes it roll across the screen instead...sort of a duel action command (kicking the boulder?).

You could also make switches that you could press or snap for different effects......and a million other things. ;-)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I've just noticed that the snapping idea has been implemented in 3.2.0-5 (or sooner?): "snapped by player" works even if the element isn't really snapped. (= isn't diggable/collectible) I tested it and created a level with a kickable boulder and it works just fine. (I'd post it but RNDFA is down.) So well done Holger!
I can't find any dropping condition though. Is it forgotten, impossible or what?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Tomi wrote:I can't find any dropping condition though. Is it forgotten, impossible or what?
Well... the only dropping condition that exists has existed for a while, and that's "dropped/thrown by player" and "player drops/throws". There's still no custom keys or inventory stuff though...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

BTW: I totally forgot that this "change when snapped" was in fact your idea!

Hope you like it as it works now! :-)

> I can't find any dropping condition though. Is it forgotten, impossible or
> what?

Well, not really forgotten, but a bit more unusual than snapping unsnappable things, I think. :-)

I mean, dropping/throwing elements (really "towards elements") when you have nothing to drop/throw seems to be too unintuitive to me, so I skipped this for now.

If there are really good ideas for using this (which cannot be done with the new "when snapped" thing), I will happily re-evaluate it!
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Few examples of use of a condition I suggested:

Often there are walkable CEs in the level, but when the player presses drop key on them, nothing happens (there can't be more CEs on one field). When having this condition, the CE could somehow inform the player to try on other field (e.g. by playing a sound or displaying an envelope).

A better example could be:

Imagine a level with an "underwater" puzzle. You'd have to collect a special waterproof dynamite, then dive and blast some wall in order to enter the exit. It would work like this: when you get the dynamite, all "water" elements change to 'water (dynamite collected)' elements, which have a change page "change to 'water + exploding dynamite' when player presses drop key on me". The 'water + exploding dynamite' would change to 3x3 area of "water + explosion" (replace when destructible) after some delay.

I think it could be useful, couldn't it?