rocksndiamonds linux apps

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

amirnatsheh7

rocksndiamonds linux apps

Post by amirnatsheh7 »

how to run rocksndiamonds applications in the linux commands?
Holger
Site Admin

Re: rocksndiamonds linux apps

Post by Holger »

Just run it using the following command:

Code: Select all

./rocksndiamonds
amirnatsheh7

Post by amirnatsheh7 »

Holger wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:11 am Just run it using the following command:

./rocksndiamonds
i think exec format error.
Attachments
rndapp.PNG
rndapp.PNG (6.12 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yes, this may happen, especially on Linux systems, which is a more heterogenous platform than the Windows/Mac/Android systems (although it currently may also happen on Mac systems, as there is still no native ARM ("Apple Silicon") binary available, but it can be run using Rosetta 2).

BTW: When reporting problems, please keep in mind (and let me know!) what I wrote some time ago:
I really would like to repeat here what is needed to work on a problem or bug, that is, what's required for a good bug report:

which version of R'n'D are you using?
which operating system are you using?
the necessary steps to reproduce the issue
the expected outcome
a description of the behavior
a small, self-contained example exhibiting the behavior
In this case, I would be interested in which Linux distribution you are using (name and version).

But there is always a solution, as this is Open Source Software: Compile the game for yourself (which is relatively easy on Linux as long as you have installed the required packages, which is mostly gcc, make and the SDL libraries, as R'n'D has only very few dependencies, by intention). Just type the following:

$ make
That should do it!
amirnatsheh7

Post by amirnatsheh7 »

I’m using pclinuxos with virtualbox on my windows computer a version is 0.9/0.9b
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Regarding version numbers, I assume you mean R'n'D version 0.9 / 0.9b (which were the first publicly available versions of the game)? In this case you have to recompile anyway, as the included binaries from those historic packages do not run on current Linux systems.

However, for those interesed in how R'n'D lokked like back in 1995, I have adjusted the first version of the game so that it can be compiled and run on modern systems -- you can find it in the Git repository in branch "0.9-compilable". Just check it out, compile it and run it! :)
amirnatsheh7

Post by amirnatsheh7 »

Holger wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:30 am Regarding version numbers, I assume you mean R'n'D version 0.9 / 0.9b (which were the first publicly available versions of the game)? In this case you have to recompile anyway, as the included binaries from those historic packages do not run on current Linux systems.

However, for those interesed in how R'n'D lokked like back in 1995, I have adjusted the first version of the game so that it can be compiled and run on modern systems -- you can find it in the Git repository in branch "0.9-compilable". Just check it out, compile it and run it! :)
how do i run and installing with rocks'n'diamonds 0.9 on linux commands?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

how do i run and installing with rocks'n'diamonds 0.9 on linux commands?
It's relatively easy if you know how to execute Linux commands on the command line. First, install git, gcc, make and the Xpm library (you will need both the runtime and development package). This can be done with the following commands (but may depend on your specific Linux distribution):

$ apt install git gcc make libxpm libxpm-dev
Then execute the following commands:

$ wget https://www.artsoft.org/RELEASES/linux/rocksndiamonds/rocks_n_diamonds-0.9.tgz
$ tar xvzf rocks_n_diamonds-0.9.tgz
$ cd rocksndiamonds
$ git checkout 0.9-compilable
$ cd src
$ make
$ cp -a rocksndiamonds ../../rocks_n_diamonds-0.9/
$ cd ../../rocks_n_diamonds-0.9/
$ ./rocksndiamonds
That's it! :-)