how can I make these CE's?

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Martijn

how can I make these CE's?

Post by Martijn »

Hello,

I'm making a levelset with the original Heartlight graphics, sounds etc. If you don't know what Heartlight is, play a java clone at: http://steike.com/Heartlight

Now I would like to know 2 things:

1. How can I make a player who has a 1x1 explosion when he dies? Is it possible to create a player with CE's? Or can it just be done with the normal player?
2. How can I make a bomb which does NOT explode when it falls on grass, but DOES on other objects. And it must have not be a 3x3 explosion, but a ehm... well, look:

0 X 0
X X X
0 X 0

instead of

X X X
X X X
X X X

(0 = empty X = explosion, flames)
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> 1. How can I make a player who has a 1x1 explosion when he dies? Is it possible to create a
> player with CE's? Or can it just be done with the normal player?

I think this is not easily possible. Replacing the player with CEs only works for certain effects (like covering the player under a solid, "walkable under" CE, and displaying something that cannot be done with custom player graphics).

> 2. How can I make a bomb which does NOT explode when it falls on grass, but DOES on
> other objects. And it must have not be a 3x3 explosion, but a ehm... well, look:

The first part sounds tricky, but may be possible with certain CE tricks. The second part should be quite easy, using "cross" style custom explosions.
Zomis

Re: how can I make these CE's?

Post by Zomis »

Martijn wrote:2. How can I make a bomb which does NOT explode when it falls on grass, but DOES on other objects. And it must have not be a 3x3 explosion, but a ehm... well, look:
You probably need a Group Element or a couple of them for this. Group up all your elements which te bomb should explode on and set the bomb to "Change when hitting <Group Element>", "Explode instead of change". And as explosion type (on Config page 2) you set "3+3" (i.e. cross type)
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

You stole the words I wanna say.. you stole my post.. :cry:

Oh what the hell thanks for posting! :D
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

whoops I didn't notice this topic! Thanks man, it works! But I still want to know: how can I make that the custom element (bomb) also explodes when touching another bomb? OK, I can include the bomb in the group element, but then you don't have that double explosion.

Btw this is the first time that I work with group elements.

And is it really impossible to make a 1x1 explosion for the player? or is there a (tricky) way to do it?

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> And is it really impossible to make a 1x1 explosion for the player? or is there a (tricky) way to do it?

I have seen too many CE tricks that I thought were impossible now, so I'm a bit careful saying it is impossible.

It may be possible by creating a walkable CE under the player which then creates eight indestructible CEs around it -- this would result in a 1x1 player explosion, but will probably require CE tricks for all cases where the player might explode (die).
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

It's for the Heartlight project I'm working on and Percival (player) only dies when:
- a rock falls on his head
- a bomb falls on his head
- a heart (emerald) falls on his head

Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Martijn wrote:It's for the Heartlight project I'm working on and Percival (player) only dies when:
- a rock falls on his head
- a bomb falls on his head
- a heart (emerald) falls on his head
Just curious... but what else could happen to him?

I seriously don't understand why the player should explode to 1x1 if no other players are involved...? Because if other players would be involved, they could get extra emeralds.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Zomis wrote:I seriously don't understand why the player should explode to 1x1 if no other players are involved...? Because if other players would be involved, they could get extra emeralds.
Because I want to have all original Heartlight behaviour in the levelset.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I could add that "explosion type" option for the player in a later version...