Why won't alternative art work?

Stuck at a level? Need help with R'n'D or anything R'n'D related? Post here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Col. Lightbeam

Why won't alternative art work?

Post by Col. Lightbeam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 pm

I am a Ubuntu Linux user

I tried applying "Might of Elementals" artwork and sounds to Rocks N Diamonds from the Menu. as soon as I put Save changes and exit, it closes

Everytime I load it up, it shuts down. The last thing loading each time that I see is graph_14.pcx.

Help?
A shaft of light...

And then he was gone

Zomis

Post by Zomis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 am

Look in your Rocks'n'Diamonds directory for the file 'stderr' (unless it's printed some other place in Linux, I can't remember). If there is such a file, tell us what it says.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Under Linux, output and errors aren't written to files, but directly printed to the corresponding file descriptors -- stdout and stderr. To see what happened, just start R'n'D from a shell, and you get all output and errors printed to the shell window.

As I assume that you get a "Segmentation fault", it would help a lot here if you could do the following: Remove the leading "#" from the line "# DEBUG = -DDEBUG -g" in file "src/Makefile" in the R'n'D directory and recompile and run R'n'D with "make gdb" -- if it crashes, it will then tell you exactly in which source file/line the crash occurred. (You might need some additional Ubuntu development packages installed, like SDL, gcc, gdb and make.)