"Looking for custom level artwork" throws user out from the game on Android

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

mat

"Looking for custom level artwork" throws user out from the game on Android

Post by mat »

I've discovered that Android throws user out from the game when loading a levelset from levelgroup list or an artwork from Setup proceeds to "Looking for custom level artwork". Tested on EMC levels.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: "Looking for custom level artwork" throws user out from the game on Android

Post by Holger »

I must admit that I haven't tested the huge EMC collection on Android so far. I should do that!

When only testing with the packaged level sets plus some custom artwork sets for testing from myself, I did not encounter this behaviour on Android so far.

However, I did encounter one or two such crashes when testing with the EMC collection on the Mac! (But not on Linux, where I do 99% of all tests, and not on Windows, where I simply did not tested the EMC collection so far. Besides that, running the game on Windows seems to be a good check when hunting for crash bugs (invalid memory access bugs)! Linux seems to forgive a lot in this regard, while Windows seems to be more "honest" here (you wrote buggy code, so you asked for a crash, here you get it ;-) ). Looks like I should run R'n'D in valgrind more often... :-) )

So: Thank you for reporting this bug (which somehow confirms my own observations)!
mat

Post by mat »

I thought for a moment that the reason of why RnD "crashes" is that the game tries to load (or maybe look for) an artwork that has only title screens... But the bug doesn't exist when RnD is booting up, hmm...
Holger wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm So: Thank you for reporting this bug (which somehow confirms my own observations)!
You're welcome! :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I think I have found and fixed that bug today! :-)

I was able to reproduce those crashes in the debugger (gdb) on the Mac, and found out what happened.
But the bug doesn't exist when RnD is booting up, hmm...
Yes, that's right -- it only happened when replacing the current artwork with a new one (to be precise: when that artwork changes the screen border). When restarting after a crash, everything works just fine again, until loading another graphics set...

I will release a new version with that bugfix soon, so you can check if it works for you (which I hope).