pre-3.2.0-rc1

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Holger
Site Admin

pre-3.2.0-rc1

Post by Holger »

Here's a new thread to report bugs in the new release candidate 1.

I've just encountered the following bug: Appending to tapes when using the new EM engine does not work right yet.

If you find more bugs (or bugs that you already reported for rc0 that are still there), please add your bug report to this thread.
bojster

Post by bojster »

X11: Broken pipe
SDL: Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

More: http://b.roger4.net/rnd-crash/

Summary: crashes on loading sounds

Conclusion: -nosound switch is *still* much demanded (I have never used any sounds anyway), though fixing it will be useful for others (if it crashes for them as well).

Addition: I'd still like a switch to provide the alternative save dir (e.g. I don't like the idea of using my ~/.rocksndiamonds for testing purposes)

Also, I had some problems sending that post, because artsoft.org refused me a connection
(and I'm writing it only because I'm bored waiting for it to start working again ;-).
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

I lost one key release event, but I wasn't able to reproduce it (might be an external problem). Sorry, no tape.
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I use the windows version and with the coming of the EM engine the game was slowed down a bit. But in this new pre-release the game is even slower! I don't know if that can be fixed, otherwise it's just awaiting the coming of that speed regulation you were going to build in.

And I have a question:
many others seem to play it with the EM graphics and I play it with the rnd graphics. OK, I see the grass but considering what you say it must be possible to switch somewhere! but where?

***EDIT

When a rock falls on a diamond, you see it fall behind the diamond. There are more of such things you mentioned before (like grabbing with the hand on your back and a rock falling INTO a yam yam etc.) but this case looks really strange. I don't know whether it's specific EM behaviour (as you changed this 'manually'; it's improved compared with the first pre-release). I hope you could change it (though you said that those animations can't be changed, but this is a special case, because you can change its behaviour manually apparently).
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> X11: Broken pipe
> SDL: Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
> More: http://b.roger4.net/rnd-crash/
> Summary: crashes on loading sounds

I was not able to reproduce this, although I really tried.

> [bojster@bojster pre-3.2.0-1]$ ./rocksndiamonds -v

How did you triggered that crash? Did you start the game from the plain, unchanged pre-release directory? Apparently not, else you would have get an error

rocksndiamonds: LoadCustomImage(): cannot find file 'RocksFontSmall.pcx'
rocksndiamonds: aborting

After copying all graphics to "graphics/gfx_classic", I got the same warnings as in your logs, but no crash -- the game ran just fine, just without sounds. But the "Broken pipe" looks like a crash in the sound server. Interesting that you get the crash both in the X11 and the SDL version, though.

Could you please run the game in "gdb" and type "bt" after the crash (to get a function stack backtrace)? Or give me more hints how to reproduce this?

I really would like to remove that bug...

*edit*

Oh, BTW: Did the game work without crash if you add all the sounds and music as in the usual distribution package?
Last edited by Holger on Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Conclusion: -nosound switch is *still* much demanded (I have never used any sounds anyway),
> though fixing it will be useful for others (if it crashes for them as well).

In general (and beside that crash you encountered), I though it would be sufficient to just disable sound and music in the setup menu, so a "-nosound" option should not be that needed. Or did I miss something? :-)

> Addition: I'd still like a switch to provide the alternative save dir (e.g. I don't like the idea of
> using my ~/.rocksndiamonds for testing purposes)

Yes, that could indeed be useful for testing (and wouldn't be too hard to add).

> Also, I had some problems sending that post, because artsoft.org refused me a connection
> (and I'm writing it only because I'm bored waiting for it to start working again ;-).

Oops, yes, the server had a downtime of around one hour this morning (exactly the hour before you wrote the post) -- one of the system admins rebooted the OS, and apparently the web server was not reboot-proof... I hope this is fixed now. (I have only user priviledges on the new server.)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I lost one key release event, but I wasn't able to reproduce it (might be an external problem).

Hmm, never had this. If this should occur more often, please let me know, so I will further investigate...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I use the windows version and with the coming of the EM engine the game was slowed down
> a bit. But in this new pre-release the game is even slower!

Hmm, I cannot think of any change between rc0 and rc1 that could have caused that.

On what system (CPU, RAM, OS) are you running it? (Sorry if I should have asked this before...)

When testing under Windows 2000 (800 MHz CPU) yesterday, I also thought that it feels a bit slow (and the sounds were interrupting, too), although it runs perfectly under Linux (733 MHz CPU) in the same SDL version.

> I don't know if that can be fixed,
> otherwise it's just awaiting the coming of that speed regulation you were going to build in.

The speed regulation won't make the game faster on a slow system, I'm afraid, as it would only change the delay between two frames. This is not DOOM, so you cannot easily skip whole frames in this kind of engine (graphic drawing maybe, but not the CPU intense calculation frames).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> many others seem to play it with the EM graphics and I play it with the rnd graphics. OK, I see
> the grass but considering what you say it must be possible to switch somewhere! but where?

In the current pre-release version, you can only play with R'n'D graphics.

Later versions will allow using native EM graphics.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> When a rock falls on a diamond, you see it fall behind the diamond. There are more of such
> things you mentioned before (like grabbing with the hand on your back and a rock falling INTO
> a yam yam etc.) but this case looks really strange.

Thanks for the reminder -- I'll investigate this.

> I don't know whether it's specific EM behaviour (as you changed this 'manually'; it's improved
> compared with the first pre-release).

Hmm, I haven't changed this...

> I hope you could change it (though you said that those animations can't be changed, but this is
> a special case, because you can change its behaviour manually apparently).

Yes, this should be adjusted to look better with R'n'D graphics. (With native EM graphics, it looks right already, but it should also work with the R'n'D graphics.)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote:>On what system (CPU, RAM, OS) are you running it? (Sorry if I should have asked this before...)
Well, these thing do I use:
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
RAM: 256 MB
Graphics Card: ASUS V9520 Magic: GeForce FX 5200 -> 128 MB

This should be enough, shouldn't it? The game always ran quite well (it was only slowed down a bit) until these pre-releases came... (now it's disturbing)

One time I decided to install Red Hat Linux 9.0 but the Linux version didn't work... I just clicked it and nothing happened! The same with a CD-ROM version (called "Snoopy" or something like that).

But the game ought to work on this pc.

going on with the bug reports:

- the magic ball (or better: the magic ball switch, for the magic ball itself doesn't do anything) doesn't seem to work (I want to use it in my emerald mine levelset I'm working on)
- "stop moving balloon" doesn't have a sprite in the level editor.
- fake grass has the same graphic as normal grass. Is that normal or was there a little difference in the original Emerald Mine (such a little difference, just like the mine and the sand)?
- the dripper doesn't have a graphic in the game.
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
> RAM: 256 MB
> This should be enough, shouldn't it?

Yes, indeed. :-)

> The game always ran quite well (it was only slowed down a bit) until these pre-releases came...
> (now it's disturbing)

Does it really run *slower* on your system (delayed scrolling, for example), or does it "only" show bumpy scrolling? The EM engine uses a certain technique for screen refresh to get even better performance on pre-historic hardware, but this normally requires a fixed frame rate of 50 Hz and the possibility to do that screen refresh in the vertical screen blanking interval (when the CRT beam is just between two frames). This does not work on actual systems (at least not with a fixed frame rate of 50 Hz)...

But the game should not be that slower. As I encountered this by myself, I'll check if I can find out why this happens (and why it happens only unter Windows)...

> One time I decided to install Red Hat Linux 9.0 but the Linux version didn't work... I just
> clicked it and nothing happened! The same with a CD-ROM version (called "Snoopy" or
> something like that).

I saw the same with a SuSE installation (with the game not from the SuSE RPM, but from the tar/gz package from my site), and I have no idea why it cannot be started from KDE/Konqueror by just clicking on the binary. Starting it from a shell script which just invokes that binary works fine, when clicking on that script in KDE. Really no idea what happens there...

> But the game ought to work on this pc.

I would also say so. ;-)
bojster

Post by bojster »

/me stoopid
Of course I forgot to copy the sounds and music directories... But then again, why expect me to remember about it if I never use them? :P
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> - the magic ball (or better: the magic ball switch, for the magic ball itself doesn't do anything)
> doesn't seem to work (I want to use it in my emerald mine levelset I'm working on)

Hmm, I can set the switch and the magic ball into a level in the editor, and when the player presses the switch, the magic ball starts rotating. (It's purpose is to create elements, but this currently only works with existing EMC levels, as the corresponding level editor controls are still missing at the moment.)

> - "stop moving balloon" doesn't have a sprite in the level editor.

Oops. I updated the "RocksDC.pcx" a bit, but did not include it into the zip archive. Thanks.

> - fake grass has the same graphic as normal grass. Is that normal or was there a little
> difference in the original Emerald Mine (such a little difference, just like the mine and the sand)?

No, in the EMC games, this is the same, identical graphic (there is only one graphic for both elements). Apparently it is intended to have both elements look exactly the same. When collecting the magnifier, the fake grass gets visible (as being fake) for a defined time (and also the gray doors).

> - the dripper doesn't have a graphic in the game.

That's right -- it's the same in EMC. Collecting the lenses makes it visible for some time (and also the invisible wall).

In both cases, I think that the time to make things visible has to be adjusted to seconds (currently it seems to be a multiple of 8 frames)...
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

* even if sound/music is turned off in the setup, RnD opens the sound device, this could be improved

* The following elements are drawn as '?' in the game:
emc_steelwall_1
emc_wall_13
emc_wall_slippery_1

*and while finding out their names I discovered another bug: clicking on a square with the mouse (in debug-builds) prints the element info of the element that is one line below and one column right to the clicked one ;)
and enemies are thereby handled as "empty space"

of course these aren't really important, but I thought you should know about ;)
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;