pre-3.2.0-rc1

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I think he was talking of level 0. Either the emc-engine has some nasty trick to solve this or it
> is a level conversion problem I suppose.

You were right; when checking the original ADF in UAE, one can see that this is indeed a "dirty trick" -- the player can walk under acid in those cases where there's no acid pool directly under the acid tile. Therefore level 0 (and indeed a lot of similar levels in this set) can be solved in the original game disk, but not with the native EM engine I used as a base for 3.2.0. So I've extended that implementation of the EM engine so that it also works with this kind of dirty trick. Don't know which levels this change might break though (or better say, "make easier", as this change won't make levels harder or impossible but easier in the worst case). But so far, I've limited the described change to older EMC levels (version 4 levels, to be precise -- see the EMC homepage for details on the different versions of the EM/EMC engines).

If anybody should find other sets which uses this "feature" (or trick) besides the set "down under mine 16", please let me know. Please also let me know if there are sets which do *not* use this trick, but have vertically stacked acid tiles (and would be easier to play now).
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

But isn't it possible to change the EM engine a bit, then?

Something else:

I see that in the coming version 3.2.0 the levelsets will be played with their own graphics. But will there also be an option to override the graphics by the rnd graphics in case you don't like the graphics of a particular levelset?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> But isn't it possible to change the EM engine a bit, then?

Hmm, didn't I just tell that?

> I see that in the coming version 3.2.0 the levelsets will be played with their own graphics. But
> will there also be an option to override the graphics by the rnd graphics in case you don't like
> the graphics of a particular levelset?

But this option already exists! Have a look at the setup menu, "custom artwork"...
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

OK, I knew, but I wondered if that (overriding) was now possible, too.

new bug:

- level number not displayed in the menu to the right

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> OK, I knew, but I wondered if that (overriding) was now possible, too.

Just try it! :-)

> new bug:
> - level number not displayed in the menu to the right

Please read this thread again (posts around 21./22. January)... ;-)
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

>> - the magic ball (or better: the magic ball switch, for the magic ball itself doesn't do anything)
>> doesn't seem to work (I want to use it in my emerald mine levelset I'm working on)

> Hmm, I can set the switch and the magic ball into a level in the editor,
> and when the player presses the switch, the magic ball starts rotating.
> (It's purpose is to create elements, but this currently only works with
> existing EMC levels, as the corresponding level editor controls are still
> missing at the moment.)

They aren't there? They are on my copy... in fact I made a little level to test it.

[nevermind]

There is not, however, a "stick screen to edit content" button, so you have to use right-click shenanigans to use the controls.

EDIT: What the heck... oh, I see. The content fields don't actually get saved to the file. It'll work until the level gets dumped from memory.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote:> OK, I knew, but I wondered if that (overriding) was now possible, too.

Just try it! :-)

> new bug:
> - level number not displayed in the menu to the right

Please read this thread again (posts around 21./22. January)... ;-)
trying is not possible yet as far as I know. I seem to miss many things??? At the moment, you can only play the levelsets with the RnD graphics as far as I know. I just put the pre-emc-levelset in my levels folder and I started playing it.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> They aren't there? They are on my copy... in fact I made a little level to test it.

Well, this does not really work yet... It's more "beta" than "release candidate", I must agree... :-)

> There is not, however, a "stick screen to edit content" button, so you have to use right-click
> shenanigans to use the controls.

Yep, right... Thanks for noting this, btw.

> EDIT: What the heck... oh, I see. The content fields don't actually get saved to the file.
> It'll work until the level gets dumped from memory.

But the content fields do not really work yet, or do they? I think not... The whole EMC elements "config" pages still have to be done properly...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> trying is not possible yet as far as I know. I seem to miss many things???

Just define some custom artwork examples for one of those EMC sets and override them with something different to see that it already works. :-)

> At the moment, you can only play the levelsets with the RnD graphics as far as I know. I just
> put the pre-emc-levelset in my levels folder and I started playing it.

If you don't touch them, you are right of course. :-)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

yes, but the hidden question (is it hidden then???) behind this all is:
does the main 3.2.0 version have the ORIGINAL graphics the levelsets had on the Amiga?

If yes, there are always levelsets with graphics I don't like, so I can override with the RnD graphics.

Of course I knew of the override function. But this is what I meant!

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> does the main 3.2.0 version have the ORIGINAL graphics the levelsets had on the Amiga?

Yes! Well, to be precise, the 3.2.0 won't have it, as it won't contain level sets with custom graphics to keep the package small, but the final new EMC level set will definitely contain the
original Amiga graphics -- unmodified, so they will have large 2x2 pixels due to the higher screen resolution of R'n'D.

> If yes, there are always levelsets with graphics I don't like, so I can override with the RnD
> graphics.

Exactly.

> Of course I knew of the override function. But this is what I meant!

OK, now I understand it! :-)

(The current EMC sets are only examples without custom artwork, because I'm not done yet with the conversion scripts and the needed "graphicsinfo.conf" files -- these are quite large for the different existing EMC graphics formats, so this is a lot of manual work...)
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

>> EDIT: What the heck... oh, I see. The content fields don't actually get saved to the file.
>> It'll work until the level gets dumped from memory.

> But the content fields do not really work yet, or do they? I think not...
> The whole EMC elements "config" pages still have to be done properly...

You mean, while it's in memory, does the magic ball function? It did. I only had it making dirt, however, but it worked in that case. I was using the test button in the editor, by the way.

I just did some more testing, and other elements besides dirt work. Perhaps your code is more functional than you thought?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> You mean, while it's in memory, does the magic ball function? It did. I only had it making dirt,
> however, but it worked in that case. I was using the test button in the editor, by the way.

Fascinating! Just tested it, and it works indeed.

> I just did some more testing, and other elements besides dirt work. Perhaps your code is more
> functional than you thought?

Maybe... =:-)

Either I have added this at a very early development stage (and completely forgot about it), or it was indeed already in the EMC engine somehow. I will investigate this... =:-|
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Well, one more bug... in EMC engine tapes, fast fowarding doesn't work, except for the no-screen-update warp foward.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Have the new EMC levels their final name? I removed my tapes etc. of the old converted EMC levels from version 3.0.8 etc. and now I play the new EMC levels. Can I play on without fearing that I have to delete my tapes again in the few weeks? Are the levelset names definitive?