CE change ideas

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkmatt

Post by Darkmatt »

Correct me if this is already suggested, but I have a couple of CE changes.

-CE Change when player is horizantally/vertically aligned. (Or both. :P)
-That diagnol movement is gonna be available right? Aren't we gonna make the android? So why don't we make that available for a CE?
-Deadly when colliding with from the (left/right side)/(top/bottom side). (Makes those moving blocks more responsive.)
-Deadly when "player collides with". (Spikes when gravity is toggled.)
-If it's possible, standing animation cannot be interupted. (I got a CE dynamite that you can push while it's lit, but when you do, the animation starts over! Distorting!)
-For convience, but it's a bit broken. Able to copy and paste a CE's configurations from level A to level B. Where A does not equal B. (You're free to use this idea as a templete for a better variation.)
-Finally, (Again, if possible) universal score configuration. (DC3-like. Just including non-CE elements. Save/Load function?)

Hope this helps.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Spikes is perfectally possible already, just set so if a player collides with an object at a position, kill player.

Its in the latest Pre-release of RnD.

The diagonal movement is pretty odd, its best to be only used for what it was originally created for... As in the android...

Deadly when colliding with left/right, top/bottom is perfectally possible too, just requires the use of more pages.

The copying a CE between levels sounds pretty good, but I think thats what the idea of the template was in the first place.

Oh, something I'd like to bring up myself... if I could remember what it was... I'll edit this post when I remember.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I think copying CEs between levels is already possible. Go to the properties of a CE and click "Copy element", then switch level and select the properties of an empty CE and click "Paste element". However, the "links" to other CEs and stuff must be fixed if you intend to copy a group of CEs which links to each other.

By the way, I was the one splitting this post from the "CE change actions" thread.

Post by Guest »

-Darkon

Yeah, but what if gravity is turned on? The "Collides with" option will only kill the player if the player pushes a key that would make him push into the spikes. Gravity however, forces you down. And even if you get impaled by spikes this way, you won't die, you can even walk across.

-Zomis

I wondered how this got here. I haven't posted a thread in a long time. Been busy doing, other stuff.

I'm taking since you haven't responded to the other ideas (Player Alignment, uninterupatble standing animation) these aren't implemented yet.

---

Well I dunno, I was aiming for convience. And some of these options might free up page space and CEs. Allowing more CEs, and a wider variety of elements you can implement. I was thinking user-friendly when I submitted these ideas.

By the way, I haven't picked up the lastest RnD rc, I've been designing my levelset. X_X But I've gladly fixed that.

Here's a new idea for your validation.

-Okay, here's a tire, what I want is whenever it moves it will keep moving until it cannot move anymore, after which it stops. "When pushed" should be what makes this happen. BUT, what if the tire slides off something without the player pushing the tire? It'll just drop and not move at all. Dunno if this can be solved using the resources given, but I'm not Alan, or Zomis, or anybody else that's sold his soul to CEs. A movement setting called "When forced to (Working name)" should make physics right again.

(I probably know this can't be solved, but it doesn't hurt to try.) The sound engine seems to support only Amiga music. (The following examples are from the Mod Archive and I am not related to any of these mods) Let's say I get "mrgic.mod" and have it so it'll play while playing Level n on RnD, only part of the song plays. Even worse cases like "vr_imag.xm" does not play at all.
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

Guest (Probably DarkMatt who forgot to log) wrote:Yeah, but what if gravity is turned on? The "Collides with" option will only kill the player if the player pushes a key that would make him push into the spikes. Gravity however, forces you down. And even if you get impaled by spikes this way, you won't die, you can even walk across.
Well, go to a CE, give it the graphic of a spike, make it indistructable and make it change to nothing, after touching player at top/bottom side, and turn on "Explode instead of change". Hope that helps you a bit! ;)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> -CE Change when player is horizantally/vertically aligned.

Theoretically possible, yes. Can't think of any good use, though. :-)

> That diagnol movement is gonna be available right? Aren't we gonna
> make the android?

Yep, right.

> So why don't we make that available for a CE?

It's not yet available in the R'n'D engine. If it is, it might be worth (and not too hard) adding a CE movement type like "android style"...

> -Deadly when colliding with from the (left/right side)/(top/bottom side).

Just use the corresponding "side" selectbox for this.

> -Deadly when "player collides with".

Just use the selectbox "deadly when <colliding with>" on config page 2.

> -If it's possible, standing animation cannot be interupted. (I got a CE
> dynamite that you can push while it's lit, but when you do, the animation
> starts over! Distorting!)

Sounds like a bug in the graphics engine -- I'll check that...

> -For convience, but it's a bit broken. Able to copy and paste a CE's
> configurations from level A to level B.

Just use the "copy" and "paste" buttons in the toolbox.

> -Finally, (Again, if possible) universal score configuration. (DC3-like. Just
> including non-CE elements. Save/Load function?)

What does this mean exactly? I don't really know DC3...

> By the way, I haven't picked up the lastest RnD rc, I've been designing my
> levelset. X_X But I've gladly fixed that.

If you design a level set that you plan to release to the public, better always use the last stable version (3.1.2 in this case), but not the pre-release version. Levels and tapes built/recorded with pre-release versions might break at any time with stable versions.

> A movement setting called "When forced to (Working name)" should make
> physics right again.

Unfortunately, I did not understand this -- can anyone please explain this for me?

> The sound engine seems to support only Amiga music.

Nope, it also supports MP3s. The only format I can think of that would be worth playing in R'n'D that is not yet supported are SID files! :-)

BTW: If your MOD or XM tune does not play right in R'n'D, this might be due to a problem with the mod/xm file itself or due to a problem with the underlying SDL_mixer library. In both cases, I'm afraid I cannot do anything about it... :-/

Post by Guest »

Theoretically possible, yes. Can't think of any good use, though. :-)
We can emulate those Medusa Statues from Adventures of Lolo. That's something....or make smarter moving laser turrets....it is useful!
Just use the corresponding "side" selectbox for this.
I don't see no sidebox in rc7. It's either I have really bad vision, or it's just plain not there.
Just use the selectbox "deadly when <colliding with>" on config page 2.
That does not do what I want the CE to do. I want the spike to act like...a spike.

When you have it on "Deadly on touching" it can kill you from the side. Last time I checked gravity spikes can't turn 90 degrees and impale you on their own.

When I have it on "Colliding with" and I fall into a spike (Gravity is on.) It
does nothing, and I'm still alive. It's like I caught the end of the spike with my hand and clinged on to it. But the last time I checked, the player wasn't athletic.
What does this mean exactly? I don't really know DC3...
Emerald Mine?!? In my vision, it'd be a list of collectable elements (Keys, bombs, emeralds, datatrons(?), the such) that you can easily configure the score of each item. Again, convient and user friendly. Because I care.
If you design a level set that you plan to release to the public, better always use the last stable version (3.1.2 in this case), but not the pre-release version. Levels and tapes built/recorded with pre-release versions might break at any time with stable versions.
Which I have been. And not trying the latest rc. Shame on me.
Unfortunately, I did not understand this -- can anyone please explain this for me?
Sorry, I'll try again. Yano how said CE (Tire) slides off slippery elements when I have the "Can fall" option on? I want that Tire, whenever it slides off/gets pushed by the player/etc. to keep on moving in the same direction after it begins movement. But once it hits a wall, it'll stop in it's tracks and be just a standing Tire.
BTW: If your MOD or XM tune does not play right in R'n'D, this might be due to a problem with the mod/xm file itself or due to a problem with the underlying SDL_mixer library. In both cases, I'm afraid I cannot do anything about it... :-/
I ran these mods through Winamp and they played perfectly. If they didn't, I probably wouldn't try them in the first place. ;)
Darkmatt

Post by Darkmatt »

Oop, wasn't logged in my last post, so I can't edit it. X_X
(This is why I'm apparently double-posting)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I don't see no sidebox in rc7. It's either I have really bad vision, or it's just
> plain not there.

It is! (also in 3.1.2) :-)

It's the "at <side> side" selectbox, with <side> being a list where you can select left/right/up/down/any. It's directly under the trigger event selectbox (where you can select things like "change after/when player collects <element>").

> When I have it on "Colliding with" and I fall into a spike (Gravity is on.) It
> does nothing, and I'm still alive.

Ah, now I know what you want to do. OK, this does indeed not work that way.

This could be fixed by adding the "hitting / hit by" condition for the player...

> Emerald Mine?!? In my vision, it'd be a list of collectable elements (Keys,
> bombs, emeralds, datatrons(?), the such) that you can easily configure
> the score of each item. Again, convient and user friendly. Because I
> care.

No idea what you mean by "Emerald Mine" here...

But I think I know what you want now. :-)

Currently there is no separate list of elements available where you could set the score values on one page, so you have to select the config page and then select each element to set the score value...

A more user friendly variant to set all scores on one page is a good idea though. :-)

> Sorry, I'll try again. Yano how said CE (Tire) slides off slippery elements
> when I have the "Can fall" option on? I want that Tire, whenever it slides
> off/gets pushed by the player/etc. to keep on moving in the same
> direction after it begins movement. But once it hits a wall, it'll stop in it's
> tracks and be just a standing Tire.

Thanks -- now I got it! :-)

OK -- you can build this by using a horizontally moving CE that only stops when hitting something at the left or right.

> I ran these mods through Winamp and they played perfectly. If they
> didn't, I probably wouldn't try them in the first place.

In this case, the reason why it does not play it's obviously the second one... :-/
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

>A more user friendly variant to set all scores on one page is a good idea
>though. :-)

Yes indeed. I'd prefer both setting all scores by clicking '?' for the elements, and a specific page for all elements.

>We can emulate those Medusa Statues from Adventures of Lolo. That's
>something....or make smarter moving laser turrets....it is useful!

Well... actually this is kinda already possible... I thought I had uploaded that level to the archive, but apparently I haven't... anyways... it is possible using a couple of extra CEs that is thrown out from a CE (the medusa itself)..
But maybe it was bad to write that... I need to make Holger create this possibility... well... Holger... it is necessary!!! For some reason... (I'm thinking a little about that warparound level Francesco made... it could have something to do with it...)
Darkmatt

Post by Darkmatt »

Ooooh! CE Changes. >_>

I was thinking shortcuts through CE Changes..because....well......the more CEs free the better right? Let's just face it, sometimes I get lazy.

Anyway, something new.

-I find that it's impossible to have 2 seperate pages of 1 single CEs with delays. Only 1 will be triggered. So you can't have say, a bomb spawn spaceships (Like that'll happen) while it countdowns to it's explosion. It'll only do one or the other.

-Speed Pills won't wear off. :( So I want something like an Anti-Speed Pill to slow down the player.

-Importing DC3 elements? Can you import the Magic Wall resetter?

-REFERENCES FOR GRAPHIC SETTINGS!! Just kidding, but I'd like it if you'd finish up the documention.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Darkmatt wrote:-I find that it's impossible to have 2 seperate pages of 1 single CEs with delays. Only 1 will be triggered. So you can't have say, a bomb spawn spaceships (Like that'll happen) while it countdowns to it's explosion. It'll only do one or the other.

-Speed Pills won't wear off. :( So I want something like an Anti-Speed Pill to slow down the player.

-REFERENCES FOR GRAPHIC SETTINGS!! Just kidding, but I'd like it if you'd finish up the documention.
1. Yes, that's correct. This might change in the future though, Alan suggested a new idea about this here in the forum. Don't remember what the thread is called though, but it should be easy to find. We'll see if Holger implmenets it.

2. Yes indeed, I've also looked forward to such a thing. But with the latest pre-release, it is actually possible - using a CE Action "set player speed = normal".

3. Heh... yeah... so would I like :) Indeed the documentation lacks much. Maybe when Flummi gets the RND-wiki back up, I'll work some more on it (and I certainly hope I won't be the only one.