Sequential delay

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Alan

Sequential delay

Post by Alan »

Not sure if this has already been suggested.....but I'm sure I'm not the first person to think it ;-) There is probably something important or obvious I'm missing here..... :-\

At the moment, any CE that changes using a "CE delay" will only use one delay per CE, any other change page using a delay is ignored...I think (if it's a higher value).

This idea doesn't need any new widgets, but may be hard to implement.....

Sequential delay mode is disabled if the CE only has one change page using a delay, and is enabled if two or more delays are found.

Say change page 1 (CP1) of CE1 sets the value to 5 after a delay of 1 second. But CP2 wants add 20 to the value after 10 seconds.

First of all CP1 is dealt with, and focus is changed to CP2. Since this also has a delay, all you have to do is check whether it is a longer delay than CP1, if so then disable CP1! Now after 10 seconds, 20 is added to the value.
After CP2 has finished enable CP1 and repeat. The only way to break this cycle is by changing CE1 to another CE after another delay (or whatever)

Imagine this with all 32 pages and you have a very accurate time line that you can use to direct other CEs or anything.
At the moment you could use multiple CEs each with it's own delay, but wouldn't it be better to use one single CE doing lots of things?

A little example:

CE1 could be a "clock", it has lots of CPs each one changes to itself after a certain amount of time (obviously different delays for each CP)

Now other CEs can use this by calling "change page of CE1 - page 1-32", each page representing a different delay value. Just imagine the custom movement types you could create with this kind of control!

Another example:

CE1 is walkable over. After 1 millisecond it changes to rockford. This creates rockford over CE1, and CE1 is not wiped (how many people knew this?)
Problem is, you can't change CE1 after making rockford.....so after 2 miliseconds another rockford is created over the old one,
which results in death! :-D

If the Sequential delay function was available, you could with CE1:-

after 1 millisecond create rockford over itself
after 2 milliseconds change itself to CE2 (which is also walkable over so you don't die)

This is a sneaky way of starting the game with any CE under rockford,and only using one CE.

There's got to be something I'm missing though, as I'm sure Holger would of used this in earlier versions if it was possible!?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Interesting idea! Still have to think about it...