Editable custom element descriptions

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Tomi

Editable custom element descriptions

Post by Tomi »

What about making custom element descriptions editable? With that, the level author could explain what CE techniques he uses, what does each element do and generally add comments to the element.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Is't that already possible?
Whatever comes after # in the config flie could describe it. No?
The Emerald King
Alan

Post by Alan »

What about making custom element descriptions editable? With that, the level author could explain what CE techniques he uses, what does each element do and generally add comments to the element.
You can either:

in the graphicsinfo.conf find the element you want to name, say custom_1, and add the name command like:

Code: Select all

custom_1.name:  This is custom element one.
This will describe the element in the editor.

or for a more detailed description you can create a helptext.conf and a helpanim.conf. The info in these files will be displayed in the info\element info page on the RND title screen.

*edit*

No that's not what you want is it?......I think I've misunderstood you here, sorry!
Zomis

Re: Editable custom element descriptions

Post by Zomis »

Tomi wrote:What about making custom element descriptions editable? With that, the level author could explain what CE techniques he uses, what does each element do and generally add comments to the element.
As written by Alan, this is already possible by using helptext.conf and helpanim.conf, take a look at some of Alan's levelsets for examples and learn from them.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Im pretty sure hes referring to the element info page under a CE's settings, whereas it gives the standard propertys of an element and the element description.

All custom elements just have "CUSTOM ELEMENTS CAN BE DEFINED TO DO A LOAD OF THINGS...etc"

I also think it would be quite nice to be able to change this.

It would mean you could state that an element needs to be used in conjunction with another element e.t.c. for it to work and what that element does for level creators.
The info screen is mainly for players of the level set, not for the level creators who want to use the elements.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Darkon wrote: Im pretty sure hes referring to the element info page under a CE's settings, whereas it gives the standard propertys of an element and the element description.
Yep, that's what I've meant - to be able to comment CE techniques that you use in your levels. That can't be done just in name (although it can help you a bit), and it doesn't belong into info screen.
asiekierka_unlogged

:D

Post by asiekierka_unlogged »

You can do that when you want to create tutorial level!
It's be in Alan's BD2K3 :D
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> custom_1.name: This is custom element one.
> This will describe the element in the editor.

Or just edit the name in the level editor, config page 1.

> All custom elements just have "CUSTOM ELEMENTS CAN BE DEFINED TO
> DO A LOAD OF THINGS...etc"

To change this text to an individual CE text which describes your CE, just edit the file "docs/elements/custom_42.txt" (for CE 42, for example), which will then replace the more generic "docs/elements/custom.txt" (displayed for all CEs that do not have an individual element description).

That should solve your problem! :-)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Do I have separate docs directory for each level/levelset? I mean, CE1 doesn't do the same in all my levels.