Adjustable screen size

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

swaj

Adjustable screen size

Post by swaj »

Question to developers: is there any plans to enable different play field in RND? Thing it sounds funny to see bigger part of cave in X11 1600x1200, ah?
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

There have been some discussions about that (mainly to be found in the "New Ideas"-section where this post should belong to, too).

The main reason against: The artwork of the menu, etc. is adjusted to the current layout and it would make some levels easier if you's see more than now.

The alternative: scaling. But this will most surely look quite ugly if it's not exactly twice the size in every direction.
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> The main reason against: The artwork of the menu, etc. is adjusted to
> the current layout and it would make some levels easier if you's see
> more than now.

That's right. Nevertheless, I'm indeed still thinking about this. (I have a laptop with 1680x1050 screen resolution and I can see the problem. :-) )

I also think about supporting "standard" screen resolutions like 640x480 or 800x600. But it's right that the artwork of existing won't make this easier. And there are indeed levels which depend on the current 17x17 playfield size and heavily rely on the fact that elements outside are not visible. (This is, for example, needed if you want to teleport the player around from one part of the level to another and give the impression that these two areas are completely independent levels.)

> The alternative: scaling. But this will most surely look quite ugly if it's not
> exactly twice the size in every direction.

This could be solved by using OpenGL functions and sub-pixel rendering for scaling. Probably a nice and easy project for an OpenGL hacker, as I could imagine. (No OpenGL experience myself, but I know the freely scalable OpenGL version of WinAmp... :-) )