Exiting effects

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Don Shadow

Exiting effects

Post by Don Shadow »

Hi again...

I just post this idea cause I want to complete my levelset.

2 possible variations:

1) Making the game finished, if the player gets teleported into the exit.
2) CE effect tab, where you can check in effects if a CE changes. For example: If CE changes, also do these effects.

The effect is: Game is lost (all players explode), game won, score counting for points than next level, directly start next level (that feature may be really interesting)

It´s a hell always to make the player moving into the exit if the game is "won". I think you should be able to do that easily Holger, don´t you ? ;)

BTW: It´s bad too if you always see the exit by leaving the game. "Modern" levels (CEs, GEs) seem worse with that.

I will check this topic for a time. Plz post only about the idea.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> 1) Making the game finished, if the player gets teleported into the exit.

Sounds reasonable, but how can you know that the player got teleported into the exit?
(Maybe it's trivial and I just don't see it at the moment.)

> The effect is: Game is lost (all players explode), game won, score counting for points than next
> level, directly start next level (that feature may be really interesting)

Yes, this is a function which I will introduce relatively soon as the already mentioned "CE actions", which can then be defined as a result of a CE change. I think this should do more or less exactly what you thought about.

> It´s a hell always to make the player moving into the exit if the game is "won". I think you
> should be able to do that easily Holger, don´t you ? ;)

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here -- do you mean some sort of "game won" like in the Sokoban levels (where there's just no exit and therefore no need to enter the exit)? In normal cases, I think it is desired to let the player reach the exit after collecting all needed gems, but a "game immediately won" (without the need to reach the exit) should be one of the CE change actions mentioned above (and should solve your problem).

> BTW: It´s bad too if you always see the exit by leaving the game. "Modern" levels (CEs,
> GEs) seem worse with that.

Here I'm lost -- what do you mean by "you always see the exit by leaving the game"?
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

Hmm, lets see... :)
I'm not 100% sure what you mean here -- do you mean some sort of "game won" like in the Sokoban levels (where there's just no exit and therefore no need to enter the exit)? In normal cases, I think it is desired to let the player reach the exit after collecting all needed gems, but a "game immediately won" (without the need to reach the exit) should be one of the CE change actions mentioned above (and should solve your problem).
Ämmm, yes, it would solve my problem. A level solved like by sokoban, made by CEs, yes.
Here I'm lost -- what do you mean by "you always see the exit by leaving the game"?
I meaned the situation now. If you want to declare the level as won, you need to place an open or closed exit for the player, that does not matter to your level style, or called "ambience". Example: Your quest is to run away from growing amoeba. The whole level has a dark brown ambience. You need to reach the end of the level (here you need to reach dark red fields). And if you solve that, the game should be quitted without the request to do anything. But, now you need to place that lighten grey exit.

Oh that´s complicate to explain, you would need to see that level. ;)

And good to hear you insert that... but, can you try to release that version in "near future" ?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I meaned the situation now. If you want to declare the level as won, you need to place an open
> or closed exit for the player, that does not matter to your level style, or called "ambience".
> Example: Your quest is to run away from growing amoeba. The whole level has a dark brown
> ambience. You need to reach the end of the level (here you need to reach dark red fields). And
> if you solve that, the game should be quitted without the request to do anything. But, now you
> need to place that lighten grey exit.

I think that I understand. But why not simply taking the normal "open exit", change its graphics to "dark red field" style just as you like it to be, and place it where the player should have to reach it. Then your level should behave exactly as described, or am I missing something?

> And good to hear you insert that... but, can you try to release that version in "near future" ?

I better won't promise that... At the moment, I'm still working on the new Emerald Mine engine, which will probably be released soon as version 3.2.0. Maybe I could add some of the proposed new CE stuff as a version 3.2.x, with x > 0, before I continue the new engines with version 3.3.0 and the new Boulder Dash engine. We'll see... :-)
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

or am I missing something?
Ämmm, yes... there are 8 different dark colors. ;)
And the colors may change with the exit, and before you ask why I don´t use only this 1 color, the levelset is mixed with the normal rnd graphics and mine (CEs), and I need the normal exit too. (I now finished level ~45 of ~60, was a big map) :)

And isn´t it possible you only insert that for 3.1.1 and make the engines parallel ? I mean you just make the non-engine upgrades there, and make the engine stuff for this next version. Cause I think I can only release my set if this version arrived. Don´t worry about bugs, the forum and me will find them. ;)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Ah, yes, I see. Then it's probably better to wait for the upcoming CE actions...

> And isn´t it possible you only insert that for 3.1.1 and make the engines parallel ? I mean you
> just make the non-engine upgrades there, and make the engine stuff for this next version.

Well, as I'm already done with most of the new EM engine, there won't be a 3.1.1 anymore, but maybe I'll add something like that right after it in a 3.2.1 release.