Change time

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

richard

Change time

Post by richard »

If a CE changes, it takes 1 frame extra. So why not making x frames extra ? (1 should be minimum). Cause you (me) need mostly always an extra CE to let it wait 1 seconds to change for example. Anyways it is really needed to make better CEs and make them faster.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

I think I speak for more people than myself when I say:
What do you mean?
"making x frames extra?" How? By picking them up from your left pocket?
What should they be used for? You mean x extra delay frames? Use the CE change condition!
You mean something else? Explain!

As it is now I really don't think we need "faster CEs" (if you mean faster as in "change directly"), this is because I think I understand how the RND Engine works, and I can see some not very good consequences for it...
TheVirtualVortex

Post by TheVirtualVortex »

I think he means the following :

For example if you have a CE called X which should change to Y when smashed, that means as soon as X gets smashed, it will immediately change to Y. I think he'd like to be able to put a delay between the change from X to Y.

Currently he had to use an extra CE to do it. That would mean :
X first changes to Z.
Z changes to Y after a given delay.

I hope that was it. :-)
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

Yeah, that's something I wished for long, too:

If "Change on delay" is checked _and_ "Change on something else" the delay-value should be waited _after_ the other event happens and then be changed. that would be nice to get rid of all those delay-and-change CEs that would otherwise be needed.

If you'd want the "what happens first"-semantic you could always push the "Change on delay" on an own change-page.

Just a thought...
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
richard

Post by richard »

The Virtual Vortex has right what he said.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Ok, thanks all. Now I understand.
Well, I do agree that it would be nice with a feature like that. Although I don't think the current "change after ... seconds" value should be used for that. But one extra byte or word per change page, with the number of frames that should be delayed before the change is taken into action would be good. If possible, that is.
I also don't think it should be high-prioritized (grammar? spelling? :P), since it's already possible using a little "walk-around" with an extra CE.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

This is an idea that could indeed be useful under certain circumstances...

But I agree with Zomis that it's probably not _that_ important for now, as the general functionality is already possible using an additional "intermediate" CE. And I also think that
the current configuration should maybe not be changed the way Flumminator suggested, as this may lead to a little confusion in understanding what happens exactly on a CE page. (Currently, all conditions on a given page are checked, and if an event occured, the CE change is performed. Adding a "delayed change" should then indeed get its own controls, if I should ever add this functionality.)