New reference element: forced empty space

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Rockford4ever

New reference element: forced empty space

Post by Rockford4ever »

An idea for a new reference element that forces the CE extended change to become something with empty space, instead of not overwriting at all. Before this, you could use CEs that change into empty space after 0 frames, but I think this would be easier.

Example: (C = CE1, e = empty space, R = rock, F = forced empty space)

CE1 changes into [empty] after 5 seconds.
Extended change target: (replace when destructible)

Code: Select all

eee
RCR
eee
The above would not overwrite the spaces above or below itself. This following should overwrite the spaces that are above of below itself into empty space:

CE1 changes into [empty] after 5 seconds.
Extended change target: (replace when destructible)

Code: Select all

eFe
RCR
eFe
I hope you get it! ;)
Current project:
Nope.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

It would be nice, but I think some people would be confused by that element, and it's fairly easy to create a "Remove"/"Destroy" CE already.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Rockford4ever

Post by Rockford4ever »

Daniel H. wrote:It would be nice, but I think some people would be confused by that element, and it's fairly easy to create a "Remove"/"Destroy" CE already.
It's not nearly as confusing as the other reference elements are at first though ;) And I even thought it would be a simpler solution for new people then creating such an extra CE.
Current project:
Nope.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

The element you described would also have the advantage of immediately creating empty space, while the other solutions usually involve a CE that changes to empty space, which can not happen in the same frame (playfield scan), but only in the next frame.

Therefore, such an element would indeed be useful.