CE Value 2

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

CE Value 2

Post by Zomis »

On many occations when I'm using CEs with CE values and doing many CE value operations. I could have a lot of use for a new CE value variable. For example, when comparing two CE values with each other.
I would like to now if the CE value of the element it's touching is greater than the current element. If it is so, then set CE value to the higher value.

I haven't found a way to implement this (If anybody knows a way - tell me!)

So I could have use for a new CE Value. Is there any chance for this happening?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I would like to now if the CE value of the element it's touching is greater
> than the current element. If it is so, then set CE value to the higher value.

Such a function would probably be useful...

> So I could have use for a new CE Value.

How does adding a second CE value to CEs help with the above problem? For me, these two things don't seem to be connected. Could you explain this further, please?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:> So I could have use for a new CE Value.

How does adding a second CE value to CEs help with the above problem? For me, these two things don't seem to be connected. Could you explain this further, please?
Of course I can.
Using CE value#2, I think it would be possible to emulate the "only set ce value if it's higher than before"-behaviour. With something like the following conditions/actions:
Set CE value#2 = CE value when touching <element>
Set CE value#2 - CE value of trigger when touching <element>
If CE value#2 reaches zero, change to <some other element>
When <element> touching <some other element>, change to <element 4>
<some other element> changes to <first element> when touching <element 4>, also set CE value to CE value of trigger.

Something like that... kinda hard to describe since I haven't tried with 2 ce values.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Although I can see how this could be used, it is IMHO *too* complicated.

BTW: What about using CE score somehow? Something like this:
when touching CE2, set CE score to its CE value, then subtract my CE value from it
if CE score gets 0, it means that my CE value was greater
Of course, that won't be possible if you already use CE score for something else.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Tomi wrote:Although I can see how this could be used, it is IMHO *too* complicated.
I'm afraid you are right :( It would be great for "advanced" CE "programmers", but would just make the CE configuration jungle even bigger for non-advanced users.
Tomi wrote:BTW: What about using CE score somehow? Something like this:
when touching CE2, set CE score to its CE value, then subtract my CE value from it
if CE score gets 0, it means that my CE value was greater
Of course, that won't be possible if you already use CE score for something else.
That's what I use for the "Room variables" in the world making challenge.

However, when using multiple CEs of the same type, and they all should get the highest CE value of their neighbour, I get a giant problem.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yep, the difficulty to understand what that all means would get even bigger, which could prevent new level creators from using advanced custom elements at all... :-/
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:Yep, the difficulty to understand what that all means would get even bigger, which could prevent new level creators from using advanced custom elements at all... :-/
But still, new users which really would like to create something (maybe after watching a couple of other levels with CE techniques) would probably explore every single portion of the CE configurations (this was what I did when the CEs started to show up with change pages, back in 3.0.0).

I only wish there was a way to make the config page more comprehensible for new users. But oh well...

Anyway, please add some kind of "set ce value if ce value isn't higher than x", so that I can make CEs which gets the highest ce value of their neighbours (element triggering change).