Music machine

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Alan

Music machine

Post by Alan »

Here's an attempt at doing a music sequencer using CEs in R&Ds.

This started as a basic drum machine, but I kept adding more and more things! There's a readme and a few demo tunes I made (each took about 10 minutes to make)

There is stuttering for windows users, so the tempo of a song may drop now and then.

Have fun.

http://www.ambience.2restinpeace.com/musicmachine.zip
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Wow! really excelent work Alan!

I can imagine ill play with this for quite sometime

And Holger, i bet this is another one of those things that you never ever considered could be done on r&d :-p
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> There's a readme and a few demo tunes I made (each took about 10
> minutes to make)

Can't believe it! It would take me hours for each tune...! :-o

> There is stuttering for windows users, so the tempo of a song may drop
> now and then.

Yes, this seems to be a problem with the Windows implementation of SDL_mixer. The Linux version seems to be far more accurate, as there is virtually no stuttering. (Tested on Debian Linux and Windows 2000.)

> And Holger, i bet this is another one of those things that you never ever
> considered could be done on r&d :-p

That's right! But at least I have an idea how this could be done, compared to things like Alan's Defender which are even more crazy. :-)
Alan

Post by Alan »

I can imagine ill play with this for quite sometime
It's good for a little while anyway!
Can't believe it! It would take me hours for each tune...!
Ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration..... 15 minutes then ;-)

My point was, once you learn what number goes with what you can get things done much faster. I can't read music, and wasn't sure what note was what, so I made them all numbers. :oops:
Added to this the great functionality of the R&Ds editor (undo, copying & pasting whole tracks & bars), makes it all faster.

One thing I should mention is, don't try to cover your favorite song as it's nigh on impossible and can drive you nuts.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Ahhh, I just realised..... If I had designed this to run top to bottom, instead of left to right then I could of had stereo! :cry:

Any instrument on the left side gets played on the left speaker, and likewise for the right! I ain't doing it again though!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Wow, that's right of course! Never thought of this possibility for "music machine", although I wrote that stereo sound code. :-o

Hmm, wouldn't it be relatively easy to change the direction from left-right to top-down? But then, using several instruments for each "music frame" would require some of them to be placed near the middle, so the effect won't be noticeable for most instruments in a track...
Alan

Post by Alan »

But then, using several instruments for each "music frame" would require some of them to be placed near the middle, so the effect won't be noticeable for most instruments in a track...
Yes, but isn't this is how proper stereo should be recorded? Bass and drums in the middle and everything else on the left or right...... It's how I've always done it anyway.

Also, by making the track slightly wider than the screen width I could of had stereo with basic volume mixing, as things off screen are quieter!
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Vote for this file at the files archive here:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/info.php?f=371

I awarded it with a Golden Rockford (let me know if you disagree) and rated it with 9, all that's missing is an in-game editor for changing the tune!
Alan

Post by Alan »

I awarded it with a Golden Rockford (let me know if you disagree) and rated it with 9, all that's missing is an in-game editor for changing the tune!
I was going to do this....... but R&D's editor is so good for this kind of thing.... copy/paste/undo etc.... oh and the ability to save your tune to ;-)

I don't think it deserves a GR as it's not technically a game.... I'm more happy about tunes themselves than the "game"