Zelda for RND

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Larry Stein

This is my opinion.

Post by Larry Stein »

This is my own made Zelda interface. Here is a screenshot.

- I doubled the lives (Start with 200, and restore 10 per heart)
- I removed the rubies display, but the bonus is still working and improved.
- The rubies bonus is now 75 Life bonus with 1000 points.
- I added the ammunition, but I need a better way to make 400 shots per weapon. Also, I hope the engine will merge all the ammo into one weapon instead of downgrading.
- Everything will have score points. I hope the player will enter the hall of fame even player died. The highest score is probably 40000, but I haven't tried yet.

However, there are some problems that I cannot fix it at this time.
Here they are.

Removing the font_2 value from the configuration file caused some names in the levelset list displays as the original font.

Removed the font killing of the high scores and its background, but I can't change the font.

The font of hall of fame shows incorrectly. I need a better way to fix it. If you're finishing a game and recorded into the hiscore table, it could be more awful.

In the custom artwork settings, resolution settings and some options, the variable below use the original font to show it.

I figured out why Alan made the plant creep impossible to hit close. If you shot far and created a plant creep, the value "Point blank hit" will kill it instantly. Is there any other ways to solve it?

I can't make the weapon with more than 255 shots, but it's still not enough. I need a better way to make it contains more than 255 shots. AND the weapon will downgrade if ITS ammo is used up and there are still shots left in the older weapons. For example, if the Throwing Knife has 200 shots and they are used up, and there are still 60 shots for Infinite Rocks, the remained 60 shots will shoot as Infinite Rocks which is slower.

By the way, there are the value of each item:
Weapons/Items: 100 Points each
Sword pieces: 200 Points each
Plant/Stones: 5 Points each
Slow monsters: 10 Points each
Fast monsters: 20 Points each
Plant creeps: 25 Points each
Shadows: 50 Points each
Rubies: 10 Points each
Hearts: 10 Lives each
100 Rubies= 75 Lives + 1000 Points
Sword Altar Ending: 5000 Points

Well, I've said too long.
Last edited by Larry Stein on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Welcome to the forum, Larry!

Sounds like you have done some interesting work on this already great set!
Could you upload your work to the net so that we can see your work in detail? If you don't have anywhere to upload to, you can use the RnD Files Archive ( http://www.zomis.net/rnd )

Your "Ammo used up" technique sounds very interesting. Have you managed to get it working? When you mentioned it I was thinking about if I should try to implement such thing myself, but first I wonder if you've already implemented it?
Larry Stein

Well, then...

Post by Larry Stein »

I just done a little, but there are still something I needed for help.

I can only give you the edited graphics and the level.

The biggest problem is that the tape may probably ends up in a place that is a dead end.

If Alan has some way to fix these problems I listed above, please tell me.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hi Larry, welcome to the forum! :-)

> Also, I hope the engine will merge all the ammo into one weapon instead
> of downgrading.

This is something the engine cannot do directly, but which has somehow to be solved by clever CE "programming" (if ever possible -- here I'm not sure; Alan will probably know far better than me :-D ).

> However, there are some problems that I cannot fix it at this time.
> Here they are.

(Fonts of "Tutorials" etc. on "Level set selection screen")

Try redefining the following fonts like Alan did in "graphics/graphicsinfo.conf":

font.text_1.LEVELS
font.text_2.LEVELS
font.text_3.LEVELS
font.text_4.LEVELS

This should do the trick!

> Removing the font_2 value from the configuration file caused some names
> in the levelset list displays as the original font.

Another general hint:

A definition like "font.text_1" redefines _all_ "normal" text fonts in R'n'D, while
"font.text_1.LEVELS" only redefines them on the "level set selection" screen.

The same goes for the following sub-screen definitions:

.MAIN - main screen
.LEVELS - level set selection screen
.EDITOR - level editor
.INFO - info screen pages (not including menu fonts, if I remember correctly)
.SETUP - setup screen pages
.PLAYING - in game fonts

This part of R'n'D is currently under heavy (although backwards compatible) development, to allow more and better menu customization!

For better playing around, the following font definitions can be configured:

From "src/main.c":

struct FontInfo font_info[NUM_FONTS + 1] =
{
{ "font.initial_1" },
{ "font.initial_2" },
{ "font.initial_3" },
{ "font.initial_4" },
{ "font.title_1" },
{ "font.title_2" },
{ "font.menu_1.active" },
{ "font.menu_2.active" },
{ "font.menu_1" },
{ "font.menu_2" },
{ "font.text_1.active" },
{ "font.text_2.active" },
{ "font.text_3.active" },
{ "font.text_4.active" },
{ "font.text_1" },
{ "font.text_2" },
{ "font.text_3" },
{ "font.text_4" },
{ "font.envelope_1" },
{ "font.envelope_2" },
{ "font.envelope_3" },
{ "font.envelope_4" },
{ "font.input_1.active" },
{ "font.input_2.active" },
{ "font.input_1" },
{ "font.input_2" },
{ "font.option_off" },
{ "font.option_on" },
{ "font.value_1" },
{ "font.value_2" },
{ "font.value_old" },
{ "font.level_number.active" },
{ "font.level_number" },
{ "font.tape_recorder" },
{ "font.game_info" },
{ "font.info.elements" },
{ "font.info.levelset" },
};

Just combine these with the above, like "font.value_1.SETUP".

> Removed the font killing of the high scores and its background, but I can't
> change the font.

Try the same as with the level set screen, but with "SCORES" instead:

font.text_1.SCORES
font.text_2.SCORES
font.text_3.SCORES
font.text_4.SCORES

Alan's Zelda "graphics/graphicsinfo.conf " also has these definitions.

> I can't make the weapon with more than 255 shots, but it's still not enough.

I will change most values which are currently limited to a range of 0 to 255 to a range of, say, 0 to 9999, probably already in the next (pre-release) version (if I don't forget it). Hope this will help a bit!

> The biggest problem is that the tape may probably ends up in a place that
> is a dead end.

Not sure how this might happen -- the tape recorder should just record your exact input, and replay it later (giving the exact same results). I heard that some people experienced problems here, but wasn't able to reproduce them (not even with my several hours long Zelda tape :-o ).
Larry Stein

Latest Zelda Enhancement

Post by Larry Stein »

I didn't modify the main menu or something yet, but I changed something inside the game.

Almost all of the fonts were replaced. Thanks for help. I used the values from the graphics information from BD2K3.

I expanded the game into 7 different difficulties. The last 3 is the Survival Mode (Expert), which do not offer any HP recoveries.

The only problem I have is that I need a new type of level select pictures that shows like

Basic - Hard - Expert
C B A C B A

or just like the 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9.

(That means, if a levelset has less than 10 levels, and the first level is zero, the level select will be 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)

I have to wait until the 255 ammunition limit per item is resolved, or the game may cause impossible.

Also, if the values can be changed from 0 to 99999. I may need higher value for scores. Also, I hope to make the score can be shown up to 999999, and the needed gems and shots left can be shown up to 9999.

EDIT: The file is not able to upload to Zomis' Archive, so download it here.

http://www.mediamax.com/eternalmftz/Hos ... -2.3.3.zip

I recompressed with Legacy Compression, which is compatible with Zip 2.0.
Last edited by Larry Stein on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Interesting work Larry........survival mode, ouch! ;-)

As for ammo, well if there where a few more free CEs left then you could of done it another way. Maybe you could cut something out to make room, like the messages or something?

It tried to have a look at your levels from the RND archive, but they're not real zips as both TotalCommander and WinRAR won't unpack them! :-(
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Sounds like nice improvements, Larry.

I've got some messages on the files archive today that 2 Zelda-uploads wasn't accepted. This is either because the file is to big or because of incorrect file extension (unregistred users may only upload .zip or .level I think). However, seems like the file wasn't too big and that the file extension was correct so I'm not sure why you got that error...

I suggest that you register on the archive, that would solve both problems as registred users are allowed to upload any file types, and file size up to 8 MB. If you don't want to do so, e-mail me the file and I'll upload it manually to the archive and posting the link here.

And oh, it worked for me to unpack your earlier in Total Commander. But I noticed that it's a different compression method on those files than on most of the other RnD-related uploads on the archive. Your files are "zipped" while most others are "deflated". This is the reason why the "View level" function won't work on those Zelda-files.
Alan

Post by Alan »

What version of TC are you using Zomis? I'm using 6, both TC and WinRAR state: "Pack method not supported" when I try to extract them.

Maybe you've got plug-ins I don't?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:What version of TC are you using Zomis? I'm using 6, both TC and WinRAR state: "Pack method not supported" when I try to extract them.

Maybe you've got plug-ins I don't?
Using TC 6.55. No plugins. Only "pkunzip.exe" defined as the ZIP-unpacker. (I think that's defined by default...)
Larry Stein

Post by Larry Stein »

Alan wrote:Interesting work Larry........survival mode, ouch! ;-)

As for ammo, well if there where a few more free CEs left then you could of done it another way. Maybe you could cut something out to make room, like the messages or something?

It tried to have a look at your levels from the RND archive, but they're not real zips as both TotalCommander and WinRAR won't unpack them! :-(
Sorry. I compressed with WinZip 11 and PPmd Compression. So other compression software won't work for these Zips. Use WinZip 11 or 7-Zip which supports PPmd.

Because of that, I think I have to reduce its compression level into Deflate or Portable to make it supported by other compression utilities. :)
Last edited by Larry Stein on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Stein

Latest News

Post by Larry Stein »

I'm planning to finish the last thing in my next version, 3.0.0 (A version 2.4.0 will be placed first for testing).

The next versions will not be continued until the next version of RnD is released with these features:

- Score display up to 999999.
- CE Score can be increased up to 99999.
- CE Count can be increased up to 9999.
- Level select like "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" for levelsets with few levels.
- Add more CE Placeholders, or make an utility to create user defined elements. Zelda has used up all the CE placeholders.
- Will be able to place an initial Top 15 Highscores.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

> CE Score can be increased up to 99999.
I think CE Value and CE Score will be at max 65535

> CE Count can be increased up to 9999.
Again, I guess 65535 - or 999 will be the new maximum. I hope 65535 (but that would require some more space for the gadget.

> Level select like "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" for levelsets with few levels.
What do you mean by this? It's already possible to select between 000 and 999...?

> Add more CE Placeholders, or make an utility to create user defined
>elements. Zelda has used up all the CE placeholders.
I doubt there will be more CEs in the near future... but well, we can always hope :)

> Will be able to place an initial Top 15 Highscores.
Isn't top 10 enough? But wait... isn't this already scrollable by pressing page down or something like that?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

As those values are stored as 16 bit values anyway in the current R'n'D level files, I have changed the numerical limit of all counters to 999 that was 255 before.
Larry Stein

I mean the initial Top 15.

Post by Larry Stein »

There is 15 highscore places in the game already. I mean that I'm going to place all of them like:
001.BASIC.............50000
002.BASIC.............48000
003.BASIC.............46000
004.BASIC.............44000
005.BASIC.............42000
006.BASIC.............40000
007.BASIC.............38000
008.BASIC.............36000
009.BASIC.............34000
010.BASIC.............32000
011.BASIC.............30000
012.BASIC.............28000
013.BASIC.............26000
014.BASIC.............24000
015.BASIC.............22000
If I can do it, you will have to achieve a required number of scores to get to the 1st place.
Alan

Post by Alan »

>There is 15 highscore places in the game already. I mean that I'm going to place all of them like:

There's actually a 100 highscores per level.....you have to press the up\down cursors to see them all though (or pageup\pagedown).

I didn't know this for ages either. ;-) viewtopic.php?t=426