Scrolling messages

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Alan

Scrolling messages

Post by Alan »

Here's a scrolling message that moves in a wave (like an Amiga demo), it can fit 4 lines of text in one animation frame which is good for long messages and small file sizes. Change the speed of CE1 to alter the smoothness of the wave.

Funky message

And this scrolling message uses a sort of encryption which makes it really hard to read out of the game...Its not too hard to crack though ;-)

Scrambled message

These are for 3.2.0-8 only.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Truly impressive... I'm amazed that you found out this technique...
But of these two I'd prefer the scrambler because there the text loops. But maybe that could be fixed for the funky message as well? (or that pressing the left button when the text already is stopped would cause the message to rewind...)
Alan

Post by Alan »

It can rewind (if you subtract the speed instead of add it), but when the CE_value reaches zero it breaks the whole message (like in FMV).

Looping? hummmm.

Did you suss out how the scrambled message works btw? (and why it has to be 4 CEs in width?)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

That's really impressive!! I would like to see such messages in real levels... :-)

Especially the obfuscated message is nice if you want to show hidden information (like passwords etc.) depending of level state. Great work!
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Bug report: The scrambled message doesn't work when team mode is disabled. I don't like it very much.

However, the idea behind Funky Message is really great! Much better than my "animated text"! Actually, the movement in animated text isn't very smooth, because I didn't want the text duplicated in the image file, but your knowledge of graphicsinfo.conf "language" is truly impressive! It seems that it's also possible to view multiple messages at once (but don't ask me what would it be good for).

By the way, i have an idea about using more messages in one level. The CEs can easily add up, but they can be reduced to 7 CEs per "viewing area" (or maybe even less, after further optimalization?). It won't be possible to view multiple messages anymore, however.
1., 3., 4. Message, Speed control, Speed control wait
- same as before
2. Message maker
- same as before, but makes "Offset setter" instead of "Message"
5. Message maker waiting
- Element changes to "message maker" after change by page of
6. Offset maker
- Changes CE value to [frame where the text starts] when [the text should start]
7. Offset setter
- (Target = offset maker) Changes CE value to CE value of target after delay 1
- Changes to Message after delay 2
Note: it may require further thought (mainly about stopping the text), but you get the idea. (Hopefully.)

*EDIT*: the offset setter may not work - I forgot that "Sequential delay" wasn't yet implemented. This could work, though:
- (Trigger = offset maker) Element changes to Message after delay 1, and sets CE value to CE value of trigger
Last edited by Tomi on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Bug report: The scrambled message doesn't work when team mode is disabled.

Indeed! Very strange!! How could this be? *confused* :-o
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Look how it's done (in level editor) and it'll be pretty obvious.