help

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

charlie

help

Post by charlie »

my computer is a G4 Apple laptop. my son downloaded Rocks N Diamonds for me but i find the little man moves very slow in some of the levels. is this normal. what are the normal settings in the 'Setup Graphics'. i have the fullscreen 'off.' What does the other 4 do to the program. Like, Scroll delay & soft Scroll is 'on' Quick doors are 'Off' and toons is 'On.' Also if i want to jump a level - how do i go about it.javascript:emoticon(':?')
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Hello charlie -- first of all, welcome to the R'n'D forum! :-)

> my computer is a G4 Apple laptop.

OK, this should be a nice platform for R'n'D. (I build and test the Mac version of the game on my iBook with a 500 MHz G3 processor.)

> my son downloaded Rocks N Diamonds for me but i find the little man
> moves very slow in some of the levels. is this normal. what are the
> normal settings in the 'Setup Graphics'. i have the fullscreen 'off.' What

I also have noticed that scrolling is slow when playing the game on the desktop; I suppose that this is due to the complex handling of desktop graphics which include things like alpha blending etc., which makes the game unnecessarily slow on the Mac. The cause may also be the underlying SDL library, which is responsible for accessing graphics.

When playing in fullscreen mode, the game should run much smoother (and also does so on my G3), so setting "fullscreen" to "on" is probably the best to do against slow scrolling. A little hint: Try this change without saving first (click "exit" instead of "save and exit"), because if it does not work and you have to kill the program, it does not start with fullscreen mode the next time you start it. But generally, on the Mac platform, fullscreen should work fine and much faster.

> does the other 4 do to the program. Like, Scroll delay & soft Scroll is 'on'
> Quick doors are 'Off' and toons is 'On.'

"soft scroll" should be left untouched (only for VERY old and slow systems, but might cause other errors then), and also "scroll delay", which would cause more scrolling when set to "off".

The other two can be left as they are -- setting "quick doors" to "on" is nice if you want the doors on the right side to open and close very fast.

> Also if i want to jump a level - how do i go about it.

Just go to the "game settings" and set "handicap" to "off".

The next version of the game will offer a way to easily skip a single level by just switching one level forward.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

P.S.: The mail address you specified when registering to the forum does not work...