Doom 3

Anything R'n'D unrelated.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Alan

Doom 3

Post by Alan »

Well, I got it at last.....

Go and look at Gamespot and 3DGamers, if you want a "creep up to id" review. The only real review on the net is here...

The problem with waiting for a sequel for so long is your expectations are too high.

I give it 6/10

Loose 2 points, because it's a "Rich boys game" (the minimum specs... WTF)...... I remember Doom 1 ran nicely on my 486.
Doom 3 runs on my PC, like a drunken pig covered in treacle!

And loose another 2 points because: ITS TOO BLOODY DARK!

You have a touch yes, but you can't hold a gun at the same time....... this IMO is a very stupid mistake. More than once I have shot blindly into the darkness, then turned on my touch to see an un-shot zombie... bah!
Can't he get some duct tape and attach the torch to the shot gun??? What kind of marine is he? (a stupid one IMO)

This cripples the gameplay, you have a choice:

1. holding a gun and feeling safe , but you can't see shit.
2. using the torch and feeling unsafe, but at least you can see what's killing you.

It plays like this:- check out a room with the torch, get wasted, reload your game, enter the same room with a gun and shoot into the dark corner.... not my idea of fluid gameplay.

And I found myself getting bored , wandering around (black) corridors, amazingly detailed corridors I grant you, but still boring..

The shock values, are like a cheap B-movie... going for all the cliches, until eventually I knew when the next "jump out of your seat" moment was coming.

The latest game that really made me "jump out of my skin" was Thief 3, when a zombie jumps up at you..... but Doom 3 is sedate.

Give me FarCry any day..

Rant rant rant..... thank you for your time. :lol:
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Very interesting post! Off topic, but still interesting! :-)

I have to admit that I indeed waited for Doom 3 for quite some time, but then get bored ("this game will never be released"), although the first screenshots were very impressive at their time.

My plan was to wait for Doom 3 and then buy a new computer that is capable of playing it. As I already told somewhere here, I still use a P-III 733 MHz, so you can imagine how long I wait now. (To be honest, I was just to lazy to buy new hardware and install everything from scratch...)

I really liked to play Doom and Doom 2 in the 90's, but your review sounds like this is not the game I was waiting for... :-/
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

Is that Doom 3 really good?
You could make the screen brighter.
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?
Alan

Post by Alan »

>although the first screenshots were very impressive at their time

Yer, that's the weird thing about screen shots... they never look as good when you play the game on your own PC. But I did have all the settings on ultra low (they should rename that to "Ultra working class" mode :wink: )

>You could make the screen brighter.

Come on, how thick do you think I am? :P

Unlike other games, the shadows are pure black....It's is like no texture is rendered there, until you use a touch. Turning up the brightness in the game just makes lights brighter. Turning up the brightness on the monitor does the same btw.

I'm up to the point where imps are spawning in front and behind me (still in the dark). The game got brighter before..... but is back to darkness again. And still no Cyberdemon yet :(

Doom III : "Ambush in the dark....again" , should be it's full title :lol:

Let's hope Halflife 2 saves the day!
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

Alan wrote:Let's hope Halflife 2 saves the day!
That's what I'm going to say.
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Your review confused me at first... "what the heck is a touch? Some sort of touch attack you need to do?"
Alan

Post by Alan »

>what the heck is a touch

a typo, since I spell torch correctly after that, I thought you might of got it.......
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Holger wrote:I really liked to play Doom and Doom 2 in the 90's, but your review sounds like this is not the game I was waiting for... :-/
heh i still play doom and doom 2 now ^^

on a windows port of it called zdoom

zdoom= good

theres actually ALOT of people who still make levels for it, and good ones at that, guess they've had alot of practice ;-)
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

Alan wrote:>what the heck is a touch

a typo, since I spell torch correctly after that, I thought you might of got it.......
Oh, I did get it, of course, hence why I put it in quote marks...
Alan

Post by Alan »

I use the Doomsday engine, it's the best of the lot.

http://www.doomsdayhq.com
Alan

Post by Alan »

>Oh, I did get it, of course, hence why I put it in quote marks...

What's your point? I'm not allowed to make typos?

You understood what I ment, but you posted the correction anyway?

grow up fool!
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

Alan: here's the duct tape you were asking for:

http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Alan

Post by Alan »

LOL! I don't believe it! This is great!

Cheers Flummi.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I have to admit, I have been playing D3 none stop. So I''ll give the curiosity factor 10/10.
According to the map folder, I have finished 14 of 17 levels.... :? So it should be finished today.
And it's still coridoors and rooms full of machinery. It looks like hell is going to be one level, and not a whole episode like doom 1.

Way too many imps. I'm getting bored killing them.

Unbalanced weapons, I use the shotgun and not much else. It kills most things in two shots. Also you can kill an imp with the torch, about 3-4 hits... fantastic! :roll:
It takes two rockets to kill the chaingun zombie or two shots from the shotgun.... weird hur?

I always lure enemys out of the darkness into light areas now..... it's easier, but a little slow. But it's better than reloading.

Another thing that bothers me, there is no muzzle flash on any gun (on ultra poor settings). If the room lit up when shooting that would be a big help.

And still no cyberdemon :cry: (last boss?)

Doom 1 & 2's gameplay was basically to overwhelm the player with hoards of demons. 5 is the most I have dealt with so far.
So IMO the "true" successor to Doom 2 is Serious Sam.
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

hmm.. dunno... serious sam isnt really all that... well... serious, its more of a comedy game

well.. from the xbox version i played it sure seemed that way anyhow