Combos - a level with a 4 digit exit

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

Combos - a level with a 4 digit exit

Post by Francesco »

Here you have a level which contains a very simple clone of the type of game known (at least by me) with the names MasterMind (board game) and Enigma (the same but for PC).

Rules:
A four digit hidden code is generated at the begin.
Touching the digits will insert them in the try line.
Touching the left arrow elements will delete the last digit.
When the try line contains 4 digits, the two check buttons turn from blue to green, and touching them will evaluate the try line.
The evaluated try line (green for correct, red for wrong) moves to the exit. If there are four green elements, the exit opens.

It is easy to solve, because of the 4 digit limitation and to the not-ordered results. It is made with 34 CEs, but I'm sure it could be done really better - more digits with less CEs, ordered results and "correct, but in wrong position" result. I'll try to do it, but I think I'll need your help... any hint?

As with my latest one-level sets, I provided a second one with CEs exposed.

Get it here:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=402

Enjoy!
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

This concept reminds me about the following levels:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/info.php?f=43
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/info.php?f=37
Although those levels are just binary codes (1/0), from what I understand of your post (haven't had time to check your level yet) yours is decimal. But maybe you could learn something from the technique anyways...
It is probably possible - somehow - to do a "right, but wrong position" thing... the question is just how... I'll think more about that.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Thank you for the links and for helping about the missing feature, Zomis :)

Oh, what a shame I'm at work right now! I will check them out tonight...
I have seen some files from the FA, but they are too many to check them all before realizing the incoming ideas...

Hope I'm not posting useless levels...
Francesco
Alan

Post by Alan »

Hope I'm not posting useless levels...
No levels are useless imo, and I have to admit you're the quickest person I've seen to pick up on the whole CE thing. :) Also, I wouldn't worry about plagiarism (your last post), it doesn't matter whether an idea has already been done before, it's all good practice.

Unfortunately not a lot of people are making things nowadays, we are having a bit of a level drought!

Anyway, Mastermind...... lol, that's the one with the old guy and oriental chick on the cover? Ain't seen that for years!
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Oh, your words embarrass me, Alan... :oops:
I must admit that I've done my best to demonstrate my efforts, because when I find something that I really like, I spend hours upon it: you can notice it from the dates and times of my posts! (Well, Holger beats me with a noticeable gap... look at *his* posting times :wink:)

Anyway, the biggest credit goes to you all. I've joined an opensource group some years ago, and it's a shame that I've had to cut it off at once: just the C problem that we spoke about some before. I was born under BASIC, and there I grew.

So there are several things that I love about all this stuff: the engine *WRnDFL* lets me create as just I did with my mothercode; your levels (somebody told that "you just have to look: it's there!"); and - tell me that I'm a silly person - I like a lot the fact that we know each other by name.
Well, almost all, directly or not... :roll:
It makes me feel that I'm speaking with you being phisically in front of you... anonymity inducts lies, and you don't lie if you look into the eyes.

Not to speak about the quickness, interest and completeness shown for the various topics, problems, ideas... a lot of nice people to deal with :)

You are expecting for more contributions? Give me some time and I'll provide a levelset which will take half an hour just to read the instructions.

Just kidding... I'll provide no instructions at all - it's funnier! If you can hold the temptation to look at the editor :wink:

About MasterMind, I don't remember the box... maybe it was different in the italian version... who knows :)
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Well, Holger beats me with a noticeable gap... look at *his* posting times

Oops... Well... I should go to bed now! ;-)

> and - tell me that I'm a silly person - I like a lot the fact that we know each
> other by name.

You're not silly! -- I think the same about it! (I also don't like forums/groups where you write to "people" with names like "Terminator", "King Kong" or "Powerleecher"... ;-) )

> You are expecting for more contributions? Give me some time

As the year 2006 has just begun, there's still a lot of time to create nice and cool contributions (and I still try to release them not only once a year, but a bit more often -- time for the final 2005 contributions, btw)...

> and I'll provide a levelset which will take half an hour just to read the
> instructions.
>
> Just kidding... I'll provide no instructions at all - it's funnier!

The right amount of instructions (not too much -- people might get bored, and not too less -- people might not know what to do) is always an important thing! But as you have the envelope elements, you can give quick hints at the start of each level, if needed. :-)