Pullable / Chainable elements

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Francesco

Pullable / Chainable elements

Post by Francesco »

The idea (not really a new idea cause I took that from SnakeBite by Alan Bond) is to realize a CE which can be pulled and chained by the player.

The highest example of usage I could give is the following:
A modular robotic snake, conductable by Rockford from the head section.
Something like a train with 1x1 wagons.
You can pull/push the single elements, and you can chain them.
Two or more chained elements can be moved only by the head section (the tractor).

Another usage of such CE could be some simple boxes with hooks, which can be pulled and chained together. In this case the player could push/pull an entire chain of elements.

Having different elements chained together would be a good expansion, for both the robosnake and the chainable boxes. Pass-through elements, cannon turrets, containers for transporting things that can't be touched directly by the player and so on.
Anyway, by the way, have fun!
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Playing around with CEs I've made something interesting.

The first level contains a yellow CE () which turns into a moving gray square () when touched. The moving square follows the player and stops beside him. It is walkable, and when left by the player, it comes back to the static barrel appearance.

The second level contains the same CEs, but now the CE changes to a blue CE (), which has the ability to destroy the big blue squares () and which can be turned back to the yellow static mode.

In the third level you have to use that yellow element in a different way too.

Here you have a preview of the third level and the link to the archive
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/entuland/rnd/trucky.htm

Should I have posted it in another place?
Last edited by Francesco on Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Ah, I see... not bad.
Well, I think the idea is pretty good... but it sounds extremly hard implementing for Holger...
very good that you submitted the levels, it gives us a little better knowledge of what your idea actually is (if your levels actually is related to your idea of course).

I've been thinking of something similar for a couple of years ago,
I tried to make a bigger CE that should be moving together.
A 2x2 CE-square for example, that all CEs would stop if one of the CEs couldn't go any further.
However, I came to the conclusion that it wasn't possible using CEs... I could have been wrong though... but oh well... I don't know if that was related to this idea or not, but when you said "chainable elements" it made me thought about that.

By the way... How to solve level 2? I can't remove the block at the exit! Nor can I remove the block near those diamonds... is it possible somehow or is it just not possible?

You submitted your levels very well. The Files Archive is also a good place to put things, but it's been closed since 1-2 days ago because of a Linuxworm targeting the server. It will be up again soon though.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

The second level is solvable, there should be my tape in the folder. I suppose that you solved the third, the one that I consider interesting - I hate boulders, and I felt very happy having created this strange CE almost by chance!

Anyway, in the 2nd level you have to bring the CE as close to the exit as you can, and then you have to run in the parallel corridor to make the CE follow you while it's in the lower corridor, until it collides with the blue box. In the same way you can free the emeralds, even if they are not needed to exit the level. Remember that you can pass through the moving CEs.

The levels I provided just show what I got on the way to my goal, which is really harder to achieve.

I try to explain it in a better way: imagine that, as separated CEs, you have got a tractor, a container wagon and a cannon wagon. You should be able to push the wagons one to the other, then you attach the tractor to them and while standing in it you move all the "train" along the level. Then you can step off the tractor, detach or attach more wagons and then you get on the tractor to move again the convoy. The whole convoy has to move all together like the snake's body in SnakeBite, and not one by one like a column of robots in a 1x corridor. The problem with the implementation made in SnakeBite is that the body's CEs aren't really moving, as stated by Alan, so it can't be used as it is. (BTW Alan, have you seen my post with the SB level in the Puzzle section? It's my first level shared 8) )

I think It would be useful, in order to realize my idea, to add an option to make elements follow other elements, instead of the player, like the robots following the wheel. In this case you should be able to tell that each wagon has to follow the closest moving wagon / tractor around. It would help, but would not be enough.

Another useful thing is to add actions linked to key pressing.
For example, the tractor should be driven in this way: you step on it, hold down the "d" key and use the arrows to make it move. Pressing an arrow alone would let you out of the tractor. It could be useful even for making CEs which react differently according to the key you press while standing close of them.

I'll try to make a demo level as close as possible to my idea.
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi all, I've got a problem to solve.

I have created some CEs to realize the idea posted above.

The first CE is the "head (still)" . When touched by the player it becomes the "head (moving)" , which can be turned back to the static one by entering and leaving it.

The "head (moving)" follows the player leaving behind another CE, the "engine (ready)" .

The "engine (ready)" stays on for few frames before disappearing.
If it touches a "cargo" , it becomes a "cargo (moving)" .

Right after, the "cargo", touching the new "cargo (moving)", turns into a "engine (busy)" . Before that the "cargo (moving)" comes back to a "cargo", the "engine (busy)" turns into "engine (ready)".

Now, if there was another "cargo" near this new "engine (ready)", it should start over the cycle, letting the two CE switch of position.

Why actually it doesn't work?

The second "engine (ready)", the one which replaces "engine (busy)", acts differently respect to the first one, left by the "head (moving)".
Seems that it does not raise the event of touching the second "cargo", and actually cuts the cycle.

Take a look to the sixth level of this (updated) pack:

Walk right to touch the "head (still)" and then walk - STEP BY STEP - to the left to see what happens. By the way see if you like levels four and five (and the third, of course!)
Francesco
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I know... the "touching" condition doesn't actually mean "touching". Conditions are events, not states. So the "touching" means just "starts touching". And the "engine ready" doesn't react, because it starts touching it in the same frame it's being created, where it's just in state of "birth".
The problem can be solved easily (in this case) though. Make the "cargo" change to "cargo" ("refresh") when it touches "engine ready". Now the "engine ready" notices that there was a "cargo" created and changes properly.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Tomi wrote:I know... the "touching" condition doesn't actually mean "touching". Conditions are events, not states. So the "touching" means just "starts touching". And the "engine ready" doesn't react, because it starts touching it in the same frame it's being created, where it's just in state of "birth".
The point is that a CE left behind acts differently from the same CE which replaces another CE. They should have the same behaviour, which is not the case.
Tomi wrote:The problem can be solved easily (in this case) though. Make the "cargo" change to "cargo" ("refresh") when it touches "engine ready". Now the "engine ready" notices that there was a "cargo" created and changes properly.

I suppose that you did not try it in my level, because it doesn't suffice, at least porting it "as it is" in my CE cycle .

I should do some more CEs to show the kind of things i'd like to see added to the CE editor. [BTW, If I could do more CE coding in some data file, please let me know.]

On that path, I realized the seventh level of my "learning-RnD" package, but before posting it, I'd like to check it one more time (it couldn't be possible that 4 identical CEs set for 4 different directions behave in different manners in my chain of events!!!).

Besides, I'll work around the advice that Tomi, which I thank, gave to me.
Francesco
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> I suppose that you did not try it in my level, [...]
To be honest, you're right... but this is a common problem for me and seemed to be the same as yours. Well, good luck with your levels.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Francesco wrote:[BTW, If I could do more CE coding in some data file, please let me know.]
Nope. All CE editing that's possible is the one within RND.

I looked at your latest level yesterday, but I didn't exactly understand it I guess. What should happen? I walked around a lot and saw some things that happened, but I didn't know what was intended and what wasn't.
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

I think you mean level n° 6, Zomis. In that level (which can't be solved, just a test level with useless CEs hanging around), you should be able to pull the whole column of cargos, but there is the "engine (ready)" which does not act exactly as expected: the CE's structure and target of that level are exposed in my post Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:51 pm in his thread.

All levels have got a tape, which on the case is the solution or just a demo of the movements.

I've tried to implement it in a different manner, and with the new CEs I created levels 7 and 8 - both solvable (see tapes) and pretty nice, at least for me!

You can get the latest updated archive from the usual page

The new CEs are nice, but they act in a buggy way. Pulling the cargos works differently for the different directions.

Should I expose it in the Bugs section or is it just bad coding?
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Should I expose it in the Bugs section or is it just bad coding?

This should be found out first. When posting CE bugs, it's best to reduce the problem to the simplest case possible. Else it's hard to nearly impossible to debug or fix anything...
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi Holger, I obviously agree with you. I'm not sure if the latest CEs I've made are buggy or not, but I'm pretty sure that there is some problem in the earlier ones.

Please read carefully the post Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:51 (GMT+1) pm in this thread, I think it is clear enough to let you tell me if it's a normal behaviour or a bug.
Francesco
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Hi all, I am back after some CE immersion!

I've been having a lot of fun programming them, and I hope that you will enjoy this little contribution of mine:
http://spazioinwind.libero.it/entuland/rnd/magic.htm

Please, Pleeeeez! Give me some control more over those CEs!
I can't realize the train if I must use dozens of CEs for each different wagon!
Francesco
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Very cool level set -- well done! :-)

BTW: I noticed that the tape for level 007 does not work (does not solve the level) neither with version 3.1.1 nor 3.2.0-6. Maybe you want to fix it before I put your set into the next contributions package. :-)

Another little hint: Maybe it's better to not force the player to collect all those envelopes every time (e.g. put it behind the player, but not in his way), so you aren't forced to read them every time.

All in all: Cool use of CE functionality -- good work! :-)
Francesco

Post by Francesco »

Yes, I knew that all those envelopes would have been a little hassling... put them on the way by purpose ;) No, just kidding...

To be honest I didn't expect such appreciations, not yours, Holger, nor Alan's ones - as he did on a PM. Even harder I would have found the idea that my levels could take place in the official contributions! I'm honoured 8)

I'll modify them as soon as possible, and maybe I'll add some levels too.

Is it better that I update the existing archive or that I make a new one and post it in the "Levels" thread?
I think I'll better start putting things on the RnDFA. By the way, since my host does not allow me to link directly to the pics, can I UL some on the FA and then link to them in my posts?
Francesco