contiuous input

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

_Darkon

Post by _Darkon »

I was wondering, would a *contiuous input* be possible?

So when its set, it causes a contunuous input of the specified key, when that key is pressed

Example, with "directional continuous input* it causes the game to continually simulate a directional press, so if the player presses down, it will continue to do down keypresses even though the key isnt actually pressed, and since it is a directional continual input, i suppose a selection of available directions would be needed.
so horizontal, vertical, left, right, up, down, all directions
so if it has directional continual input, pressing down would result in continual downwards movement, from there, pressing left would switch the continual input from being down to being left.

also with this could be the "item use continuous input"

Im not sure how possible this would be but it could be useful and would enable some interesting new CE's and levels (pacman anyone?)

Post by Guest »

Geez, I really HATE the keyboards they have here at work, they're so unresponsive... they tend to ignore some of my keystrokes.

so just try to ignore the spelling mistakes...
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

See Roadblocks by Zomis in New Ideas -> Roadblocks - this may be the thing you need, but it isn't the right solution in all cases.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

(Splitted this thread from viewtopic.php?t=587)

Hmm... I don't think Roadblock is exactly what Darkon is looking for, since in Roadblock there is no way to stop half-way and then go in another direction. That possibility would exist with "continous input".
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

Ok, here it is... http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=388
Unfortunately, it's very buggy and not very usable in regular level at all :(
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

I've just created a new version of CE continuous input that's totally bug-free and great (and uses just 5 CEs).
While RNDFA is down, you can get it here: http://www.smnd.sk/tomi/files/rnd/001.level
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Tomi wrote:I've just created a new version of CE continuous input that's totally bug-free and great (and uses just 5 CEs).
While RNDFA is down, you can get it here: http://www.smnd.sk/tomi/files/rnd/001.level
Well... define "bug-free" ;) Even though there aren't any real "bugs" there might be some missing features... for example, I saw the player jump 3 or 4 steps in 1 frame a couple of times... maybe it's not a bug, but it's a little strange.

And well, in general your example is quite good. And pretty simple as well.

However, I'd still like to see "real" continous input in RND ;)
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

In this case bug-free means "not so horribly buggy as the previous version".
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Well... even though it's not perfect, I just found another solution:
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=395
(You need version 3.2.0-5 or later for this)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I must admit than I'm still not sure for what exactly "continuous input" could be good for... :-o
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Well its the same as what good is gravity good for? ;-)

Its basically just for different style levels.
Some people may want the player to be more careful, since they cant directally stop themselves moving without a solid block they would need to be extra careful.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Well its the same as what good is gravity good for?
> Its basically just for different style levels.

No!! My point was not that it may be useless, but that I still wasn't 100% sure how it works, in which player behaviour it results and what things could be done with it.

But I think I get the idea now: You start the player, and it won't stop running until it hits some other element!

Hope that I got it now! :-)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

Close, but it also allows the player to change direction,
so you cannot stop moving however you can still change direction if you try... Just... you'll keep moving in that new direction, only way to stand still would be to hit something, kinda like what you get when you wear roller skates for the first time, you cant stop but your still able to turn around, only way to stop is to bump into something.

Unless this is what you ment, if thats the case, ignore my previous statement.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Darkon wrote:Close, but it also allows the player to change direction,
Exactly right, Darkon. Otherwise it becomes Roadblock-style movement.
Tomi

Post by Tomi »

> http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=395
Often it doesn't work when I press an arrow once (= I still continue moving in my previous direction)... nice idea, but I consider the "delayed roadblock" style better.
However, this idea has one advantage: the player actually *moves*, so he can collect, dig etc. (But I think this would be easy to port it also to my implementation.)