level display size

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

level display size

Post by Darkon »

i was thinking, would it be possible to set a "viewable area" for a level?
so your level could be 40x40, but you can set so the bottom 2 rows are never in view, this would be handy to hide all those unsightly CE counters and would also give a better illusion of a "wrap around" effect, you walk off the bottom of the screen, keep holding down and you walk back down from the top instead of just appearing there

im pretty sure it could have other uses but currently i cant think of any more
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> i was thinking, would it be possible to set a "viewable area" for a level?
> so your level could be 40x40, but you can set so the bottom 2 rows are
> never in view, this would be handy to hide all those unsightly CE counters

Well, why not make your CE counters indestructible, let them look like ordinary steel wall and place them somewhere where you need walls?
This should easily solve that part of the problem.

When thinking about your idea of a viewable area, most level creators probably would want more than one viewable area inside a level -- to let the player beam between parts of a level which can't be seen before (due to scrolling). This would be nice for "hidden levels" (inside one big level).

But this would probably be a bit tricky to define in the editor...

> and would also give a better illusion of a "wrap around" effect, you walk
> off the bottom of the screen, keep holding down and you walk back down
> from the top instead of just appearing there

Well, a seamless wrap-around effect which you can't see is already easily possible by copying parts of the level from the source to the target area. (Works only with static elements, of course, so you might need a door and a passage for this.)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

well, when i said that, i was actually referring to small levels, where you can see both sides of the screen

and what i mean is, similar to the way the level border is hidden when you surround the entire level with indestructable material, the real border is hidden and only the inside border is visible

come to think of it, it doesnt really have many practical uses, and im sure in future there will be better ways to make it look more "fluid" using CE's

and i really have to start getting to bed earlyer -_-
ive been watching a movie, was pretty good, i just wish they never had them on so late at night...