Starts moving previous-effects leave behind

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

Starts moving previous-effects leave behind

Post by Darkon »

basically, i was wondering if it was possible to make so when something is set to leave something behind when moving, the object left behind starts moving the direction the object that created it was moving

i was thinking of making some kind of centipede type creature, it probably would be possible without this feature, but it could be useful, and would kinda make sence considering previously it was moving left... in a sence that it came from an object that was moving left

also, i just thought, when something is created in this manner, which direction does it start facing? technically shouldnt it face the direction of the creator?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> also, i just thought, when something is created in this manner, which direction does it start
> facing? technically shouldnt it face the direction of the creator?

Sounds reasonable, yes.

But after playing around with CEs a bit, I came to the following question:

How should a CE that was left behind by another (moving) CE ever be possible to move in that same direction? After created by the moving CE, it can never move in that direction, because there's still the other CE (moving away, but still blocking that field). So it must always start with a different direction than the previous move direction -- or it must be set to only move in that certain direction (which only works if you know that direction), but then you won't need the "previous" start direction.

Do I overlook something?

(It would probably not be that hard to add this, but currently I don't see any case where it would work as intended.)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

well... i was thinking of the movement type that emerald mines had, that when an object moves, the space the object "was" becomes passable, but the space the object is moving to becomes solid, if you know what i mean... or at least it was something like this... or seemed like it
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> i was thinking of the movement type that emerald mines had, that when an object moves, the
> space the object "was" becomes passable, but the space the object is moving to becomes solid

I think you remember Boulder Dash, not Emerald Mine. In Emerald Mine, elements cannot move "in a row" (without empty space between them), while this was possible in Boulder Dash (but only in one direction, not the opposite direction, if I remember right). But BD had "jump-moving", so it cannot be compared directly...

So the conclusion seems to be that this feature (using the "previous" move direction for CEs left behind by other moving CEs) would currently not be needed for R'n'D. Please correct me if I'm wrong (still thinking about this)...
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

suppose so, but the direction the created npc is facing could still be used, and would be useful
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> suppose so, but the direction the created npc is facing could still be used, and would be useful

Hmm, yes, that's right -- when combined with Alan's suggestion ("moving without moving").

This could be nice to let a CE drop things that have a graphical direction, even if not moving.