Player invulnerable of... / CE can not hurt player

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Zomis

Player invulnerable of... / CE can not hurt player

Post by Zomis »

I am working with (more) fighting/battle levels (like Alan's Defender), and I would have excellent use for some kind of flag for player to be invulnerable of some special CE explosions.

For example, how much sense does it make that the player can be killed by his own machine gun?
If you have the right CE settings, then you'll see how it is when the player dies.

Maybe it would be easier to fix some bugs(?) which some weapons may generate... but this idea could be useful anyway!!
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

id also like to see some CE - player modifiers that can allow things like this

so an extra page that has various *upon pickup* settings

such as
*set player speed (speed and time active)*
*set player invincibility (type and time)*
*set player time/steps*

you get the idea

of course this isnt the same as zomis means but would be useful still ;-)

and of course this has nothing to do with my battle level set at all, nope *whistles*
Last edited by Darkon on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Post by Alan »

>I am working with (more) fighting/battle levels (like Alan's Defender), and I would have excellent use for some kind of flag for player to be invulnerable of some special CE explosions.

Create a CE that is "walkable over" and protected. Create this CE over the player whenever you shoot (or whatever), this way you can be invulnerable.
I have just talked about this with Holger, but in my case it was about custom player animations, which are possible using this method.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> For example, how much sense does it make that the player can be killed by his own machine gun?

I think, it can make a lot of sense -- we had this topic before (with a bazooka directly in front of a wall). If the explosions are 3x3, the player can of course be killed by it. If you use other techniques (like not exploding the projectile, but the enemy hidden by it), you get different effects (and different degrees of danger of the player killing himself with his weapons)...
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:Create a CE that is "walkable over" and protected. Create this CE over the player whenever you shoot (or whatever), this way you can be invulnerable.
I have just talked about this with Holger, but in my case it was about custom player animations, which are possible using this method.
Hmm... certainly not a bad idea. But then the player will be invulnerable for everything for a few frames, so holding down the shoot (i.e. drop/throw) button will cause the player to be invulnerable for a few frames every few frames - i.e. the player will always be invulnerable.
Maybe it could be timed well somehow, I'll see...
Holger wrote:I think, it can make a lot of sense -- we had this topic before (with a bazooka directly in front of a wall). [...]
Well, yeah... but that's a bazooka. A bazooka explodes much more than a machine gun. :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Well, yeah... but that's a bazooka. A bazooka explodes much more than a machine gun.

Right. :-)

But a machine gun type of "shooting CE" (1x1 style projectiles/explosions) that does not hurt the player, but only certain enemies, should not be too hard to build, I think...