Custom explosion

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Darkon

Custom explosion

Post by Darkon »

I was wondering if it was possible to define parts of an explosion

so for example, if it was a 3x3 explosion, you would be able to set the top left, the top middle, top right e.t.c. to individual graphics, so it would give the impression that it was one large explosion instead of several small ones stuck together

same with + shaped explosions

left/right side, horizontal parts, centre part, vertical parts and top/bottom side

im not sure if this is possible but it would look very nice ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Due to the tile-based nature of R'n'D, there is no direct support for it. (Imagine several "big" explosions overlapping each other -- this could easily look bad.)

But if you want, it should be relatively easy to create such an explosion using CEs (which won't work then with "classic" elements, but only with own CE based elements which explicitely explode using that custom CE explosion).

So, principally this is already possible in CE levels (and levels with classic elements should probaly continue using "classic" explosions).

Other opinions on this one?
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

well thats what i originally thought of, but the dyna bomb in the others element section has a very specific behaviour that wouldnt look bad at all
(the bomb that explodes in a + style)

CE explosions tend to have a nasty habit of overwriting elements that need to be released from objects due to an explosion

just picture the way bombs explode on something like bomberman and you'll know what i mean :-p
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> well thats what i originally thought of, but the dyna bomb in the others element section has a
> very specific behaviour that wouldnt look bad at all

Yes, that's right! In fact, when I added the "dyna bomb", I really wanted to also add special graphics (connected explosions, like that in the original game), but somehow I forgot to really do that. But I probably should just extend the graphics definitions to support this!

> CE explosions tend to have a nasty habit of overwriting elements that need to be released
> from objects from an explosion

Hmm, what do you mean by "elements that need to be released from objects from an explosion"?

> ill try and make a rough sketch to what it would look like (the explosion)

That would be nice and might help to understand! :-)
Darkon

Post by Darkon »

ok, i uploaded a little example screenshot to the r&d file archive

http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=336

basically each part of the explosion could be defined using...

dynaexplosion.horizontal
for the horizontal part (not at the end or the centre)
dynaexplosion.left
the left side tip of the explosion

and you get the idea

well basically if you make a faked explosion using custom elements, they replace things such as *diamond in wall*, instead if breaking the wall and releasing the diamond, it simply removes the wall

and i just thought, would it be possible to add a speed variable to the speed pill? so you can set the speed of the player to any that npcs can have? (so you can have something like a slow pill to make the player slow)