Guns and Enemies That Use Guns

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

edencorbin

Guns and Enemies That Use Guns

Post by edencorbin »

Ok, Im shure this idea has been posted here a few times, somewhere in the forums.

Nevertheless, I think a item that would give your character the ability to shoot, maby use flamethrower, or arrows, or Ninja stars, or some projectile, would add alot of action gameplay posibilities.

This could then lead to enemies that use the same gun technology, rotating turrets that shoot every so often, and similar obstacles.

I personally think, if this idea was implemented, a good enemy could walk in a completely random path, sortof like the packmans, but turning before they reach a wall. This enemy could shoot at intervals, or randomly, maby killing other enemys with the bullets.

The Classic Bombs are great, and many levels dont need guns, but I think guns could lead to some really cool things (that sounds bad doesn't it) haha :)
Martijn

Re: Guns and Enemies That Use Guns

Post by Martijn »

edencorbin wrote:The Classic Bombs are great, and many levels dont need guns, but I think guns could lead to some really cool things (that sounds bad doesn't it) haha :)
Sure! Try Safrosoft RoX. In that game you can shoot at the spiders!!! but RnD rules of course :D
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Believe me, guns and stuff are already possible. Try Alan's Defender and Richard's Multiplayer Levels

I swear that tons of other things are also possible, as soon as someone makes the CEs (Custom Elements) for them :)

Go to the level editor, scroll down and select a custom element, then click on the '?' mark. Now see how many things that can be possible...:)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

For shooting, just use CEs that are "collectible & droppable" or (even better for this purpose) "collectible & throwable".
edencorbin

yeah

Post by edencorbin »

thanks to all you geniouses,
beleive it or not, I was unaware of how to edit custom objects. Cant wait to experement with the endless options that are now available. Rest asured, my next level set will be all the better.

How about the enemies, can they shoot?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> How about the enemies, can they shoot?

Short answer: Yes, they can. :-)

Just define your CEs (custom elements) in a way that they create "shot CEs" with which they can shoot then.

A very good example is the level end boss of "BD2K3" -- have a look at level 41 and see the very impressing "boss" in action, shooting laser shots at the player (after the player tried to kill him some times -- before that, the boss only follows the player, but does not shoot yet).
Grunt002

Post by Grunt002 »

Just think of it... It might just make another great game like "Defender" that Alan made.
This reminded me of one of the projects that I'm working on... a shooting game with lots of CEs, anyhow.

Btw, how the hell do I make weapons and bullets move and hurt the player cuz I always have confusion in them that won't make them work :x
YOU LIKE MY SIGNATURE DON'T YOU?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Btw, how the hell do I make weapons and bullets move and hurt the player cuz I always have
> confusion in them that won't make them work

Just look at that level 041 of BD2K3 for a good example -- and it works, too! :-)

Yes, it's indeed a bit tricky...
Alan

Post by Alan »

>Just look at that level 041 of BD2K3 for a good example -- and it works, too! :-)

A better example would be Netwars (I have just posted this elsewhere), but I don't have a copy.

It's better because it doesn't have all the bulk of BD2K3 in the way, and it's bullets are ment to hurt other players, and not yourself.

Anybody?
Alan

Post by Alan »

So nobody has a copy of it to mail me?

I'm glad I didn't spend weeks on it. :wink:
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:So nobody has a copy of it to mail me?

I'm glad I didn't spend weeks on it. :wink:
Sorry Alan, I'd love to help you out but I've searched my computer and found nothing...
I think I still have your Space Invader levelset though.

But Netwars... I don't think I've even played it. I see it was released during the week I was in France in June.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I take back that...
Look at the Files Archive within a couple of minutes :)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Okay, here it is.
http://www.zomis.net/rnd/download.php?id=339
I can't remember I've tested it though, but oh well... the important thing is that it is back :)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks a lot! Wherever did you find it?
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Alan wrote:Thanks a lot! Wherever did you find it?
Apparently I forgot to search a harddrive...:P :oops:
It was in one of all my "Netdownload" directories, where I usually put stuff I download in Firefox or IE from the internet :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

WTF? Alan, why have I never seen this one?! :-)

(And I was surprised that I wasn't able to find it on my harddisk either!)

Great set of players in four colors, btw!