WIDER ELEMENT SELECTOR/separate window

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

kjr

WIDER ELEMENT SELECTOR/separate window

Post by kjr »

Make the element selector either wider, or a separate window AND wider. It's really annoying to have to scroll up and down all the time.

OR, have a separate pane that shows the 16 (4x4) most recently selected elements that are NOT still assigned to one of the mouse buttons.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Well yeah, the element selector in the editor could be a bit more comfortable... Let's hope Holger has it on his TODO list ;-)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yeah, principally you're both right, I think.

It's currently not that easy to change this, because SDL still does not support multiple windows (I think), and when using fullscreen, you cannot use additional windows at all.

About making it wider, this could be a problem with existing custom artwork sets, which also involve the "door" on the right side of the window. But I know that it's probably a bit too narrow at the moment... :-/

A workaround that still works quite fine comes near to the idea of the "recent elements" pane: You can use a file called "editorsetup.conf" with your own element definitions in your personal data directory (where your personal "levels" and "tapes" etc. are stored). To get a list of all currently used editor elements, invoke the game on the command line with the following parameters:

./rocksndiamonds --execute "print editorsetup.conf"

(Use "--help" for all other options and parameters.)

Then, just edit your personal list of elements, and switch on or off the standard and custom editor elements in the menu setup -> editor.

Hope that helps for now! :-)
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

What about using the mouse wheel to scroll the element list?
At least that's what I often missed, so I took the liberty to change it.

Here's the patch: rnd-3.1.0-mousewheel.diff
(looks a bit ugly, because I had to re-indent some code. The real "new" code is the else-part of the inserted if-statement)

Works fine under linux both with X11 and SDL variants and under windows. No idea if this will work under OS-X.

Windows-binary: rocksndiamonds-scroll.exe (statically linked, 3.5MB)
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> What about using the mouse wheel to scroll the element list?
> At least that's what I often missed, so I took the liberty to change it.

Hmm, wasn't there a patch that adds mouse wheel support to "gadgets.c" (and therefore generically add mouse wheel support not only for the editor gadgets, but for all gadgets)?

I thought that I already applied such a patch from you to an earlier version, but it seems that I did not. I'll check if I still have such a patch from you somewhere around, waiting to be applied; or maybe you still have such a generic mouse wheel support for the current version around?