Pulling

Got a cool idea that should be in R'n'D? Let's hear it!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Don Shadow

Pulling

Post by Don Shadow »

Pulling should be easily inplentable.

Just like that...

To...

The rock got pushed. How can the user do that ? The solution: Snapping.
The user might do it like that in this example: Snapping at right, and he moves at right by holding the rock (That should be a pullable CE rock).

Just snapping and moving (pulling) in a direction.

Holger ? Could you do that also ? :D
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

Ups, there should be normal wall and a player instead of round wall and a bug.
bojster

Post by bojster »

Yeah, snap the object and pull it sounds very useful. I missed that sometimes ;-)
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

lol yeah. I just say 'Sokoban'. ;-D

Well, there should be sometimes things that should not block the way of the players.

And, I could make new standart elements if people want to. Hey, I would make them as good as I can and let em fit into EM and BD or whatever. ;)

Pulling is something, that is a very heavy point, that can change the whole game more better !
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Don Shadow wrote:lol yeah. I just say 'Sokoban'. ;-D

(...)

Pulling is something, that is a very heavy point, that can change the whole game more better !
Aaaah, if only pulling would be allowed in Sokoban...nice :D

I totally agree with you and I've got to say that this was one of the best ideas I ever saw for RND :) So Holger, get your todo-list and update it ;)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I don't believe it -- Richard, bojster and Zomis all agree that a certain idea is a great idea! =:-)

Hmm, sounds interesting. Just some questions: How can the player use the snap function to pull an element? I mean, what about the level sketched above with a snappable field/element right of the player. It would then combine snapping and then (after snapping that element) pushing directly after it. But maybe this special case is not a big problem. (Although a lot of people ask me how "snapping" works at all -- they will have even more problems to "pull" something, I'm afraid... ;-D )

But yes, this idea could be used for nice things. Although I currently have a roadmap with those new classic game engines, I could add some new CE stuff every now and then... :-)
bojster

Post by bojster »

I see two easy solutions to this:
1. When the object is not collectible, like a stone, the player snaps it and holds shift (holds the object) - then the player can move in reverse direction pulling the object.
2. You can make a separate key for 'holding' objects, then the player could pull any movable object. Though I think it's best to allow pulling only the pushable objects.

I see no point in making bugs pull the objects, as it can already be done with following CE or sth (I ain't no expert in CEs), but here's the scheme for the player:

---> --->

Where is the same player, but facing left (yes, also when pulling - isn't that obvious? ;-) and snapping/pulling (holding shift or the pull-key).
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

I think it would be easy with 'snapping' + 'direction' if you wanna pull something.
But it´s all the same for me until it´s not complicate to do that !

In the CE pages I would say, the droplist should contain these things like that: pushable, pullable, pushable and pullable. The numbers like 'push delay' should also be used for pulling (means that push and pull delay should be always the same).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Yeah, sounds all reasonable. When I add such a feature, I think I'll go with one of the two solutions described here. :-)
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Holger wrote:I don't believe it -- Richard, bojster and Zomis all agree that a certain idea is a great idea! =:-)
Well...even though it's rare...it had to happen some time :)

I recommend bojster's solution #1 with using snapbutton + backwards direction (like if you wanna pull right, then press right - backwards from pushing left).
And what Ric is mentioning is very important, there must be an option for making pullable or non-pullable objects...or else Sokoban would be a bit too easy :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I recommend bojster's solution #1 with using snapbutton + backwards direction (like if you
> wanna pull right, then press right - backwards from pushing left).

Yes, sounds good. So if the player wants to pull right, and to the right there is a snappable
object and to the left there is a pullable object, the player first snaps the object to the right and then pulls the object to the left, moving (pulling it) right (while looking left, moving backwards).

> And what Ric is mentioning is very important, there must be an option for making pullable or
> non-pullable objects...or else Sokoban would be a bit too easy

I think it would be best to only allow pulling for CEs (defined to be either "pullable" or "pushable and pullable"), because else there would be a big problem with existing levels (with Sokoban being the most obvious example, of course :-) ).
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:I think it would be best to only allow pulling for CEs (defined to be either "pullable" or "pushable and pullable"), because else there would be a big problem with existing levels (with Sokoban being the most obvious example, of course :-) ).
I agree. Pulling should be added as a new feature (god forbid adding it to Sokoban! ;-), not transferable (unless by modifying) to existing levels.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I recommend bojster's solution #1 with using snapbutton + backwards direction (like if you
> wanna pull right, then press right - backwards from pushing left).

And before I forget about it: There's still that thing called "snap-pushing" (was it from Boulder Dash? Can't remember right now. Player pushes without moving), which should also be possible, but that should be no problem:

Example: special rock (pushable, snap-pushable and pullable) left from player:
- cursor left: player pushes rock to the left
- snap+cursor left: snap-push rock to the left
- snap+cursor right: pull rock to the right, facing left
- cursor right: player just walks to the right ;-)
Don Shadow

Post by Don Shadow »

Let´s see. I will notice you, Holger, if something goes really wrong... ;)
I hope I can do it already in your next version *caugh* ...good night !
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:"snap-pushing"
Should be called prodding (like in Worms) ;-]