Any interest in having a Matrix room for instant chat?

Discussion about Rocks'n'Diamonds, Boulder Dash, Supaplex, Emerald Mine and any other BD hybrid.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

soylent_cow

Any interest in having a Matrix room for instant chat?

Post by soylent_cow »

I spend quite a bit of time making levels for DND, and I was thinking about creating a RND chat room using Matrix protocol, probably #rocksndiamonds@matrix.org

By default it would be unofficial, unaffiliated chat room dedicated to general discussion of DND. I don't want to squat on the name in any way, so if this community decides it wants to take over at some point, that's great, the devs here can take over the admin.

Does this seem like a useful idea? Please let me know what you think.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Any interest in having a Matrix room for instant chat?

Post by Holger »

First of all, welcome to the forum! :-)

I think this could be a good idea if there are enough people interested in a chat room for R'n'D (taking into account that this forum is really low-traffic recently)! As I would probably not set it up by myself, and wouldn't be sure which existing service (like Discord etc.) would be best, feel free to use whatever you like! (Using the name "rocksndiamonds" for a chat room or channel is fine.)

I just tried to access it, but failed -- do I have to register first to be able to use it? (I opened "matrix.org" and tried to open a chat "rocksndiamonds" somewhere, but apparently I was too stupid right now. ;-) )

That said, sometimes it may indeed be faster and more fun to use a direct chat instead of a web forum, so if anybody likes it, I will be happy to have it around (and maybe announce its existence in the "Announcements" section). :-)
ncrecc

Post by ncrecc »

definitely prefer matrix to discord IMO. glad we're starting off on the right foot with a group chat
soylent_cow

Post by soylent_cow »

Holger wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:20 am I just tried to access it, but failed -- do I have to register first to be able to use it? (I opened "matrix.org" and tried to open a chat "rocksndiamonds" somewhere, but apparently I was too stupid right now. ;-) )
Sorry, I was waiting for some feedback before I stake out the namespace :) It's up now.
ncrecc wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:44 pm definitely prefer matrix to discord IMO. glad we're starting off on the right foot with a group chat
I agree completely. Xonotic switched their official discussions (user and dev) to Matrix a few years ago, they even run their own Matrix server, and it seems to be working great. I think for just the user chat, a free room is a good start.
filbo

Post by filbo »

I will be unhappy with this if useful discussion happens there and is not copied here, as I am not going to add Yet Another online forum to my rounds.

What if you raise whatever discussion you think you were going to raise there, here, and see how it goes, first? This is only slightly less realtime if you check it frequently...
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I will be unhappy with this if useful discussion happens there and is not copied here, as I am not going to add Yet Another online forum to my rounds.

What if you raise whatever discussion you think you were going to raise there, here, and see how it goes, first? This is only slightly less realtime if you check it frequently...
I generally agree with filbo! Especially, I, personally, will most likely not be able to take part in chat discussions, as I highly prefer non-realtime communications regarding R'n'D (mainly due to real life issues like family and work that usually will prevent me from taking part in R'n'D related real-time communication like in a chat forum).

On the other side, I know that many people do like real-time chats, so having a dedicated R'n'D chat for those people is perfectly fine for me. :)

So if there is anything to be discussed regarding R'n'D where you like my attention to it, you should place it here in the web forum. However, feel free to have fun using an additional chat dedicated to R'n'D!
jm28121977

Post by jm28121977 »

It would seem a shame for Holger to be missing out on chat regarding his game. Can't people just post here and keep refreshing the page so it's effectively live chat?
soylent_cow

Post by soylent_cow »

Hopefully the two modes of communication will supplement each other. Some people don't have enough patience for a forum where one needs to register and wait for various approvals. Other people don't have much use for live chat, where browsing through the history can be very tricky. Anyway, this is just an experiment, and my only intention is to make a useful contribution to the floss gaming community. Let's just kind of see what happens, and whether there's any interest/demand to begin with. I would fully expect it to be very slow for quite a while, but if there's anything particularly interesting going on there, I will post an update here :)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I also would say just try it out and see what happens. :)

There may indeed be discussions that work better in real-time than in a web forum, where discussions may take days and weeks, and not every discussion must always be made in the forum.

As soon as something is available, I promise I will have a look every now and then. :-)
ncrecc

Post by ncrecc »

Holger wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:16 pm As soon as something is available, I promise I will have a look every now and then. :-)
the room is already up: https://app.element.io/#/room/#rocksndi ... matrix.org

(this is specifically a link to the room as accessed from the "Element" web client; if you don't have a Matrix account it will prompt you to sign up. there are tons of other available clients too: https://matrix.org/ecosystem/clients/ )