What if Deflektor had some elements from Mindbender

All about creating levels and level sets, custom elements and custom artwork.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Holger
Site Admin

Re: What if Deflektor had some elements from Mindbender

Post by Holger »

Well done, and it looks very good in a sense that it fits well to the overall artwork!

Of course, I generally discourage using non-latin letters/fonts and non-English text inside R'n'D (like level text elements, envelope text or info texts), so the game and add-ons like custom level sets are accessible to as many people as possible, but sometimes people cannot play the game for the exact reason that they cannot read English text. So if you want to create a level set specifically for your kids or your parents (which might not be that fluent in English), being able to modify fonts and text might help.

And yes, it would still be cool to have different (non-English) language catalogs available for R'n'D one day... :)
Eizzoux

[DF] Fixed mirrors (2)

Post by Eizzoux »

Eizzoux wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:21 am I think I have come up with a possible solution. Today I just revisited this topic and got a random thought of the mirrors being fixed with... staples... or metal frames, I guess. Anyways, here's what I have come up with for the fixed mirrors. Done both with vanilla DF mirrors and redone RF ones. (although I don't think I'll use them in RF)

stapmir1.png

I also specifically made staples golden for better color distinction.
stapmir2.png
Sorry for quoting you again, but here's my take on how fixed mirrors could be possibly interpreted in vanilla game. The mirrors are pretty much held captive by staples fixed with golden staples.
𒈟
Eizzoux

[RF] Global anims on android (2)

Post by Eizzoux »

Eizzoux wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:23 am Recently I decided to check how Reflektor works on Android (and since it's much easier to import custom levels now), but I've stumbled upon one problem.
After I start the game and leave to the main menu, some of global anims are just fading out along with the touch... well, touch control buttons, I guess. And since the doors on the right I have in there is actually a global anim, then it just fades out, leaving black space in the door area. Interestingly, not all of the anims are disappearing. From what I can see, it's only the '.class: window' ones which are fading out. The only three ways to return them is rather play the game again, so they will fade in again, but, of course, fade out after leaving, restarting the game or re-entering the levelset.
Since not that long ago I got a new phone, I noticed I have a recorder pre-installed in it, and that reminded me that I wanted to record that bug happening to me. Just to double check, I installed R'n'D on my phone and put Reflektor just to check if that bug with fading animations is still happening on the new phone... And indeed it does! I quickly recorded that.

Image < Clickable

Also sorry for such thumbnail, I just like doing some kind of... dumb stuff, whatever.

But in all seriousness, from what I can see, global anims disappearing is related to the touch request buttons appearing on the screen when request window opens up (request.touch_yes, request.touch_no and request.touch_confirm), and both touch buttons and global anims fading out together when closing. Seems like since touch buttons are sharing the rendering engine and maybe rendering layer, therefore sharing the opacity commands. Although on closer inspection it seems like global anims aren't fully disappearing, they are fading out, you can still barely see them.

𒈟
Eizzoux

[RF] Tiny sneak peek

Post by Eizzoux »

Here's a tiny little sneak peek at what element I also want to introduce. Although one thing, no need for the hype or anything like that, because it will be pretty much useless for the playthrough and is just a reskin of a light ball (bonus ball), which just gives you score when hit. The main difference is that it will be hidden, but there is no guarantee you won't get any of them by accident.

bo.gif
bo.gif (51.21 KiB) Viewed 84269 times

Also, a little request to Holger that I actually should have suggested in the more fitting related topic - MM element overlays. The point is, as you can see, that the animation sorta gets obscured by the laser when hit, therefore the "100" isn't fully visible as well. I think that could be prevented if we could have double layers (very much like this idea I suggested years ago), where the lower one is drawn behind the beam and the upper layer is drawn over the laser.
𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Re: [DF] Fixed mirrors

Post by Holger »

I think I have come up with a possible solution. Today I just revisited this topic and got a random thought of the mirrors being fixed with... staples... or metal frames, I guess. Anyways, here's what I have come up with for the fixed mirrors. Done both with vanilla DF mirrors and redone RF ones. (although I don't think I'll use them in RF)
I also specifically made staples golden for better color distinction.
stapmir2.png
stapmir2.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 84152 times
Finally replaced the red, fixed DF mirrors with your alternative variant. I think it fits well to the standard, non-fixed DF mirrors. :)
amirnatsheh7

Post by amirnatsheh7 »

artsoft guy, are you making update for rocks'n'diamonds and mirror magic?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

artsoft guy,
My name is Holger. ;-)
are you making update for rocks'n'diamonds and mirror magic?
Yes, I do. :)
Eizzoux

Re: [DF] Fixed mirrors

Post by Eizzoux »

Holger wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:59 am Finally replaced the red, fixed DF mirrors with your alternative variant. I think it fits well to the standard, non-fixed DF mirrors. :)
Neat, thanks!
𒈟
Eizzoux

[RF] Debatable considerations

Post by Eizzoux »

For a while now I was looking at the way both DF and RF looked and... yeah, they look pretty basic but still nice enough catch your eyes. But yet I felt still how some of the designs look... somewhat dull, I guess. Like, the steel blocks (walls) are just kind of... same as wooden but of a different color. They don't exactly look very metal, they can as well be stone or just painted wooden ones.
So I tried to at least redesign them in such way they do really look like they're made of metal and are very well polished.

kuebfkuewbfk.png
kuebfkuewbfk.png (39.06 KiB) Viewed 83615 times

On one hand, that indeed looks much more detailed... Ya know, reflective. I could have even used it for steel walls, but the problem is that they will look completely off the style. So yeah, this idea just leads to a dilemma if I rather change everything to match the more fresh and clean style or just keep all the same for more oldschool look. Second might be just a bit more practical option, but I still feel like I should change steel elements to look more 'reflective'.

𒈟
amirnatsheh7

Re: [RF] Debatable considerations

Post by amirnatsheh7 »

Wow i like that your art sprite! Eizzoux :D
Eizzoux

Reflektor demo 4: Christmas Edition

Post by Eizzoux »

Probably a bit too early, but here it is, new demo! This one is a bit special, as you can see from the screenshot, it's redesigned with Winter holiday theme in mind. Breaking ornaments instead of cells, the screen has animated christmas lights, the 'HELP' button is replaced with an ornament, because... why not? Even emitter and receiver are festive, ain't that cool?

𒈟
Eizzoux

Reflektor Demo 5: Christmas Edition (fix)

Post by Eizzoux »

This demo isn't any different from the previous demo and the only significant change it wields is somewhat fixed behavior for the christmas light that are wrapping the border. In last demo, you could mess up their timings by... clicking anywhere. Yeah, for some reason some constantly changing anims can be messed up if you click (presumably, because of a custom pointer, because it is also a global anim much like the lights).

79254226__tog_reflektor_demo_xmas_edition_19_12_23__70169523.zip
RF demo 19.12.23
(2 MiB) Downloaded 1411 times

Intro card
Intro card
rfxmas21.png (16.4 KiB) Viewed 81874 times

Main menu
Main menu
rfxmas22.png (448.4 KiB) Viewed 81874 times

𒈟
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

It looks really cool, and very xmas-ish -- especially when it's also snowing*! :-D

And I wasn't able to break the christmas lights, even though I just tried very hard! ;-)

If this should be reproducibly somehow, I could have a look what's going on, but so far everything looked just nicely!

*Snow can always be started with the right keys -- I have written how to do it in this forum last year or so. :)
Eizzoux

Post by Eizzoux »

Well, what I meant is, lights of each color light up one after another, and in the previous demo clicking may shift their timing and you will see yellow and green lights suddenly flashing together. The problem was that they're just timed each by themselves. So in the last-last demo I sorta fixed that by adding an invisible four-part animation which instead became a global timer for all of the lights using '.anim_event: end: anim_20.part_X'. That doesn't exactly prevent clicks from impacting animations by delaying their timers a little bit, but at least it keeps the lights synced together.
𒈟
ncrecc

Post by ncrecc »

played thru the entire demo. very fun and probably as cute as deflektor can get :D