Bugs in Pre Release 4.0.0.0

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RJ1

Bugs in Pre Release 4.0.0.0

Post by RJ1 »

Hello there,

First huge thanks for the new Relase. I visit this site each day :-)

One little Bug appears with me when changing Settings like Fullscreen from OFF to ON,
it says ONF (the blue F remains on Screen).

RJ
Holger
Site Admin

Re: Bugs in Pre Release 4.0.0.0

Post by Holger »

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Yes, you're right -- I've also noticed this bug directly after the release, and already fixed it (in Git version).

Nevertheless, please all use this thread to report further bugs you might find in the release candidate version(s). Thanks!
Update: Better open a new thread for each bug report!
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

When using mp3 as Music files, i notice glitches when switching music on while game is playing.

(i used my own files here, the mp3s were properly faded in and out so i guess it might has something to do with
the player)

can anyone else report this ?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Not sure if I have noticed something like this before. Does this happen only to certain MP3 files, or does it happen with any MP3 file when it starts playing through R'n'D?

If it only happens while the game is playing: How much CPU does R'n'D use on your system while playing?
Nevertheless, please all use this thread to report further bugs you might find in the release candidate version(s). Thanks!
Bad idea of mine... it's probably better to open a new thread for each bug, else things will quickly get confusing (and it will be hard to find a certain bug report later).
filbo

Post by filbo »

> Bad idea of mine... it's probably better to open a new thread for each bug, else things will quickly get confusing (and it will be hard to find a certain bug report later).

Strongly agree -- as I have been doing.

Suggest you go back and edit the previous post (does work? -- guess not...)
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Suggest you go back and edit the previous post
Done! (After having defined a new BBCode "strike". :-) )
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

I agree, though i guess this thread will still count for the MP3 thing.
Not sure if I have noticed something like this before. Does this happen only to certain MP3 files, or does it happen with any MP3 file when it starts playing through R'n'D?

The glitches seem to appear randomly. You hear them INGAME only when sound effects are disabled.
All mp3 files a have tested so far show this random behave.

The same glitches appear randomly when starting the game with a mp3 sound assigned to the main sceen or when starting a level.

For me its ok, but i just wandet to let you know.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I agree, though i guess this thread will still count for the MP3 thing.
Sure. ;-)
The glitches seem to appear randomly. [...] All mp3 files a have tested so far show this random behave.
Which operating system did you run R'n'D on? Are you able to reproduce this on a different computer?

Maybe this is some random oddness with SDL2 in conjunction with your computer's sound system... :-/
filbo

Post by filbo »

> Done! (After having defined a new BBCode "strike".

Awesome! It's obvious that bbcode is some sort of thin layer over HTML, but I did not realize that phpBB allowed the administrator to muck around with the mapping. :)

(Bug: faq.php?mode=bbcode does not mention strike, nor presumably anything else you might have added locally :)
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

Which operating system did you run R'n'D on? Are you able to reproduce this on a different computer?

Maybe this is some random oddness with SDL2 in conjunction with your computer's sound system... :-/

Hello Holger,

I havent tried it on a different Computer yet.

I am using WIn XP SP3 on a P4 3,4Ghz with a Prodigy 2 Soundcard.
On the same system i tried an USB Soundcard with the same glitches.
On a headphone it sounds rather like a popping noise .

RJ
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

i would like to mention that mp3tags in the file (most files are tagged) may raise this behave.
I do not know much about mp3 encoding, but i would guess that a tag is stored at the beginning of a file.

If now someone renders the file straigt from bit 0, the tag is played and may sound like a short pop or glitch.

--
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Don't think that this is the cause here -- in 2016, every library able to play MP3s should be aware of ID3 tags in MP3 files (which were stored at the end of the file many years ago (ID3v1) for similar reasons (software not aware of meta data tags), but are stored as ID3v2 tags in the file header now for a long time, so even the last and smallest MP3 decoder knows that it will be there). Besides that, the MP3 decoder always has to do some header parsing to know about the encoding details (like bitrate etc.).

BTW: Have you already tested this problem with a variety of different MP3s from different sources, with similar results?

Has anybody out there encountered similar problems with playing MP3s from within R'n'D?
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

I have now tried it on a Windows 7 64bit with same results.

Furtheron i tried different mp3 from different manufacturers (game music from other games),
as well as inserting silence at the beginning of a file without any change.

To test it do the following, unzip 12_axes.mp3 from the zip link i had sent you.
Turn off soundeffects and music, start game. Then switch music on and off several times.
you should hear a "pop". Then try dungeon4.mp3 the same way.
With this file the pop appears only every once in a while.
Funny because both files where created the same way.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I was finally able to reproduce these "pops" when starting music while playing the game!

I will now have to do some tests to investigate what's going on here (especially if this is a SDL2_mixer related thing, or if this is something I can work around in the R'n'D music system).
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

I was able to reproduce this problem with both the SDL and SDL2 mixer, without finding the root cause, though. But I think I was able to work around it, by using a very short (100 ms) fade-in at the beginning of playing a music file. All cases where I was able to hear that "plop" sound now sound just clean and fine!

The fix will be available in the next release candidate (RC2), hopefully very soon (in a few days).