pre-3.2.0-rc1

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Well, one more bug... in EMC engine tapes, fast fowarding doesn't work, except for the
> no-screen-update warp foward.

Yep... I already noticed this bug, but haven't found it's cause yet.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Have the new EMC levels their final name?

No; at least it's not finally decided for every set yet.

> I removed my tapes etc. of the old converted EMC levels from version 3.0.8 etc. and now
> I play the new EMC levels. Can I play on without fearing that I have to delete my tapes again
> in the few weeks? Are the levelset names definitive?

The levelset names are not the problem (you can just rename the directory according to the final name), but tapes recorded with any pre-release version are always possible to break in the final release version, because there can (and most probably will) still be some minor engine changes (with major impact on tapes) before the final version.
Yoshi348

Post by Yoshi348 »

* Your score is set to zero when you enter the exit, but before you get your time bonus.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> * Your score is set to zero when you enter the exit, but before you get your time bonus.

Thanks! Noticed! Hope to get this fixed soon!
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

*loading of tapes of EM engine levels is much faster than loading of tapes of RnD engine levels.
Not that it's really a bug, but something to be mentioned in this topic. If possible, could you (holger) make it as fast? i.e. RnD levels as fast as EM levels?
Visit my Boulder Dash website at:
http://www.bd-fans.com

Watch my avatar! That orange little thing is Murphy, the Supaplex star!
Flumminator

Post by Flumminator »

i think it was in the 3.2.0-0 thread when Holger said that he expected the EM-tapes to be loaded much faster. EM is a bit less complex than RnD is. Simply think of Custom Elements.
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Flumminator wrote:i think it was in the 3.2.0-0 thread when Holger said that he expected the EM-tapes to be loaded much faster. EM is a bit less complex than RnD is. Simply think of Custom Elements.
but non-CE levels are also loaded slower.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> > > *loading of tapes of EM engine levels is much faster than loading of tapes of RnD engine levels.

Well, I could add some sleep(10)'s to make it as fast as the R'n'D engine tape loading... ;^)

> > EM is a bit less complex than RnD is. Simply think of Custom Elements.
> but non-CE levels are also loaded slower.

But Flumminator is perfectly right here -- the native EM engine is HIGHLY speed-optimized, while the normal R'n'D engine, even if not using CEs, is, well, not that optimized, but more complex, as it must handle a lot more different elements (and also CEs, even if they are not used at all in a certain level). The benefit is a higher level of abstraction of the whole engine, which resulted in a lot of CE features being very easy to be added, as only some internal engine parameters were made configurable for CEs. Then, the R'n'D engine already contains a lot of code and conditions for downwards compatibility which is needed to correctly play old levels -- this makes the engine slower also for newer levels, of course.

Compared to that, the main part of the native EM engine mainly consists of a lot of switch()/case statements, which can be compiled to very fast code in this certain situation -- remember that the original Emerald Mine had to run fine on an Amiga 500 with 7 MHz!

The downside is, that the EM engine code is, well, a bit ugly and not very readable, let alone generic. So adding CEs to the EM engine would be *much* harder than it was with the R'n'D engine.

But it's really *very* fast. :-)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

I encountered a new bug (is it a bug?):

when an emerald (or diamond) is lying directly under a magic wall (I mean: no space between the wall and the emerald) and when there are falling rocks onto that wall, they seem to disappear because they can't go through the wall. This could be original behaviour, but I wonder if down under mine 09 level 0 is possible then??
Last edited by Martijn on Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bojster

Post by bojster »

It's the original behaviour.
In RnD it was that when you had one item below the wall and one item 'sunk' in the wall, the next item couldn't get into the wall and therefore some EMC levels were unsolvable. Original EMC behaviour is that everything 'sinks' into the wall and disappears if some item is beneath it.
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

OK thanks. I see Down Under Mine 09 level 0 is possible.
Holger wrote:> more bugs
> - when a rock falls on a diamond you see the rock fall behind the diamond. looks strange.
> - you hear no exit opening sound
> - when you enter the exit, the level ends when rockford is still outside.
> - you still see a black square appear when you walk into the acid

I'll check these bugs and see what I can do. :-)
Have you checked these bugs already? Are they all bugs?

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Have you checked these bugs already? Are they all bugs?

I think they are all bugs, yes.

Here's the current status:

> > - when a rock falls on a diamond you see the rock fall behind the diamond. looks strange.
> > - you hear no exit opening sound

Both fixed.

> > - when you enter the exit, the level ends when rockford is still outside.

Not yet fixed.

> > - you still see a black square appear when you walk into the acid

Probably fixed; at least, I wasn't able to reproduce this with my current working version.
(Please check this with the next version to be sure.)
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

new bugs:

1. When you stand still after having walked up, Rockford is facing down.
2. When speed set to 1 (fastest), the player's animation (rolling eyes, moving arms etc.) are faster then they have to be. The player's arms and feet animate FASTER, while he walks much SLOWER.
3. Loading EMC levels works fine but you don't see the value in the 'time' box change during loading.

Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> 1. When you stand still after having walked up, Rockford is facing down.

Yes, this is the exact EMC graphic engine behaviour as seen in original EMC games.

I haven't changed this...

> 2. When speed set to 1 (fastest), the player's animation (rolling eyes, moving arms etc.) are
> faster then they have to be. The player's arms and feet animate FASTER, while he walks much
> SLOWER.

I must admit that I don't know what you mean here. :-(

For example, what do you mean by "setting speed to 1"?

> 3. Loading EMC levels works fine but you don't see the value in the 'time' box change during
> loading.

Do you mean loading tapes? Yes, there are still some bugs left to be eliminated...
Martijn

Post by Martijn »

Holger wrote:>
I must admit that I don't know what you mean here. :-(
OK, forget it. it's nothing. I made a mistake.

but something else (what has a little bit to do with this): In the prerelease version you have 4 speed adjustment keys: 1,2,3,4
they work fine in the RnD engine levels. But in the EM engine levels, only the keys 2,3 and 4 work. 1 doesn't.

and one remark: isn't the speed difference between 1 and 2 too big? on speed 2 Rockford is just walking and on 1 he is running so very fast!