Explosion turns to red lights in specific conditions

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

bojster

Explosion turns to red lights in specific conditions

Post by bojster »

Not really a bug, made me smile really: when playing Supaplex level 73, I paused the game during orange disk explosion, minimised the window, and when I got it back up, I noticed the explosion fields turned to red light blocks. :-) 100% reproducible in standard build of 3.3.1.2 (64bit). Also notice how snik-snaks are only partially visible - they were "full" before minimising. Screenshot:

Holger
Site Admin

Re: Explosion turns to red lights in specific conditions

Post by Holger »

You are right indeed -- apparently this has something to do with tile-by-tile redraw of the playfield after minimizing the R'n'D window and normalizing it again. Interestingly, it seems to happen only with the native X11 version, but not with the SDL version (which has to be manually compiled to replace the X11 version shipped with the default download archive). Apparently the SDL version does not need a tile-by-tile playfield redraw after mapping the window to the screen after minimizing. (Not sure if this is due to differences in R'n'D or the SDL graphics handling at the moment.) You can safely call this a bug, although it apparently is a graphical bug only.

BTW: Is this just an observation you made with the X11 version, or are you regularly using the X11 version rather than building and using the SDL version? To be honest, I see the SDL version as the "real" version for quite some time now, as it offers features like fullscreen modes and music -- as I assume that you use neither music nor fullscreen within R'n'D, it does not make a big difference if you use the X11 version or the SDL version though. But I'm just asking here as I have plans to finally drop the "native X11" support and just require SDL to build R'n'D, and if there is a good reason to prefer the X11 version over the SDL version I would like to know it before I make this decision.
bojster

Post by bojster »

I used to always compile the SDL version, but since on this computer I don't have the dev toolchain, I simply downloaded the archive and started the bundled executable, I didn't even check if it's SDL or X11. That would explain why I haven't noticed this behaviour ever before. I also couldn't be bothered to search for my old disk (with all the tapes), so I just started playing from scratch and it's as much fun as ever. :-)
Anonycat

Post by Anonycat »

Even in the SDL version, this bug sometimes occurs by putting a tape in "Warp Forward" mode then switching to paused.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Good to know! Then simply dropping X11 support will not fix it... ;-)

The problem/bug really seems to be in redrawing the playfield tile-by-tile if needed (which seems to be the case more often when unmapping/remapping the native X11 window, but may also happen in the SDL version under certain circumstances).

Maybe not *that* important to fix, but I'll see what I can do about it...
bojster

Post by bojster »

Holger wrote:Maybe not *that* important to fix, but I'll see what I can do about it...
I think we could as well treat it as a "local folklore" and leave it as it is. ;-)