3.3.0.1: Framerate drops while video plays on the screen

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

RAP

3.3.0.1: Framerate drops while video plays on the screen

Post by RAP »

• Title of the topic is self-explanatory.
  • I'm not sure if it is the fault of my computer, the game Rocks'n'Diamonds, or the website/program playing a video/GIF/moving picture.
  • Playing the game while the video's window is on screen dumps the framerate fairly.
  • Playing the game while the video's window is minimized returns it's framerate back to normal.
  • Framerate is essential for the game to function properly in that the players' reaction is quickly recognized. Any hinder will distract the player from playing the game.
  • I'm trying to figure out which key is the "framerate" button, unless Holger removed it recently.
  • Not sure if this contributed the bug (personal thoughts):
    • My computer uses two monitors, because using one monitor just messes up my routine.
    • I usually like to leave stuff like the videos on like background noise.
    • However, I'm curious on how FPS is handled in the game when there are computers that have 64-bit versions (which the latest version of the game has).
    • I assume the engine has been yet left untouched from further polishing when it comes to FPS; there are games that run over 120FPS but monitors often can't display that amount of frames that high.
Holger
Site Admin

Re: 3.3.0.1: Framerate drops while video plays on the screen

Post by Holger »

Version 3.3.0.1 is outdated, please use the latest version (currently 3.3.1.2) before reporting bugs.

Since version 3.3.1.0, graphics performance should be improved; see this entry from the "ChangeLog" file:

--- snip ---
2012-10-13
* fixed graphics performance problems (especially on Mac OS X) by using
whole-playfield redraw on SDL target, while still using the previous
single-tile redraw method on X11 target (using redraw tiles threshold)
--- snip ---

This change is not limited to the Mac version, but the Mac version really had problems with frame rate before 3.3.1.0.

Some more information:

- R'n'D runs with a fixed frame rate of 50 FPS.

- If you use applications that use the CPU/GPU, other applications that also use the CPU/GPU may get less of these resources and therefore run/draw slower. Besides that, it may be possible that your video playing application uses monitor VSYNC to prevent tearing/flicker, which might have a drawback to other applications running in parallel that try to update with a different frame rate.