Crashing while loading levels

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Sigma

Crashing while loading levels

Post by Sigma »

Hi everyone

When I attempt to load levelsets with custom artwork, approximately half the time, RnD will crash (stop responding) just after finishing loading the graphics & music. This primarily affects the EMC level collection, however it has also crashed on other levelsets such as BD2K3. When the game is re-loaded, the levelset loads fine.

I am using RnD version 3.2.6.1 on Windows 7 x64. There is nothing in stderr/stdout that I found. The levelsets worked fine on the same computer running Windows Vista x86.
It does not crash if the graphics are overridden.
Last edited by Sigma on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Oh, well... :-o

New operating systems, new trouble. :-( ;-)

Has anybody a chance to run R'n'D 3.2.6.1 on Windows 7 using a memory profiler/debugger, like valgrind (not sure if it is available for Windows though)?

Maybe the most interesting question here is if the crashes are triggered by the fact that you're running a 64 bit system, or by Windows 7, or by the combination of both, so it would be helpful if somebody could report if it also crashes on (a) 64 bit, but XP/Vista systems, or (b) 32 bit Windows 7 systems.

I don't have a Windows 7 system for testing available so far... :-/
Sigma

Post by Sigma »

Holger wrote:New operating systems, new trouble. :-( ;-)

Has anybody a chance to run R'n'D 3.2.6.1 on Windows 7 using a memory profiler/debugger, like valgrind (not sure if it is available for Windows though)?

Maybe the most interesting question here is if the crashes are triggered by the fact that you're running a 64 bit system, or by Windows 7, or by the combination of both, so it would be helpful if somebody could report if it also crashes on (a) 64 bit, but XP/Vista systems, or (b) 32 bit Windows 7 systems.
The same levelsets crashed RnD on my Windows 7 x86 computer with almost exactly the same problem. After doing so a few times, it seemed to "get over it" and has been running OK since...
I did use the zip file as opposed to the installer.

I have not tried using a debugger, but if someone gives me some instructions, I might be able to collect some data for you. I think that the SDL library was updated for Windows 7? Maybe that could be the cause?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> The same levelsets crashed RnD on my Windows 7 x86 computer with
> almost exactly the same problem.

Good to know. So it's Windows 7 and not the 64 bit system.

> After doing so a few times, it seemed to "get over it" and has been running
> OK since...

Although looking strange, this sometimes happens with memory problems, depending in which memory page the faulty bytes are accessed...

I recently got a report of a memory problem regarding tape loading causing crashes that could possibly also cause the crashes you are encountering here. I got a patch for this specific problem, and I hope to be able to provide a test version with this patch for testing on Windows 7 soon.

> I think that the SDL library was updated for Windows 7? Maybe that could
> be the cause?

Maybe yes. What you can do is just trying to replace the SDL DLLs shipped with the R'n'D zip with the new SDL DLLs updated for Windows 7. Start with "SDL.dll" alone, and continue with the other ones (SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_net), if there are also updated versions for Windows 7 available. (The DLLs can be found in R'n'D's main directory.)

It would be nice if you could test this. (Although it's a bit hard to test if it currently does not crash at all. Maybe it starts crashing again after a reboot, so you could see if it makes a difference if you replace the Windows 7 versions of the DLLs under reproducible testing conditions.)