Exit doors don't open fast enough

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

Davacardo

Exit doors don't open fast enough

Post by Davacardo »

This is another thing I picked up while playing DC2 levels. I'm not sure if this also applies to EM or RnD levels because I have not encountered this in any EM/RnD levelset (yet).

Basically, if you set up something like:

and set the emerald count to 1, as the player heads toward the exit, they will be killed before they can enter the exit! Note it doesn't have be a rock, it can be any element that can smash or blow up the player.
If you move the exit down one more square so there is two squares seperating emerald & exit, same issue (except for the bomb - the player can 'leave' the explosion at the last possible moment). There must be at least a three tile gap between emerald & exit to avoid player death.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

I know what you mean, but in that particular case, you could also just snap the emerald and wait a moment.

Also, a good temporary workaround would be to make a destructible CE that looks like a closed exit and changes to an open exit as soon as gems needed reaches 0.
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Davacardo

Post by Davacardo »

RTADash wrote:I know what you mean, but in that particular case, you could also just snap the emerald and wait a moment.
Good point. Didn't realise that at the time. But if you moved the exit & emerald down 1 tile, you can see how it becomes an issue. It's also a problem with indestructible exits (if I remember correctly).

In the meantime, I'll try the CE workaround. Thanks for that idea RTADash!
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

Very good point -- I never thought of such a situation, to be honest!

Classic R'n'D doors have (mainly) three states: closed, opening, open. "opening" shows the just opening exit door, which is itself not walkable, so you have to wait a few frames, which is deadly in the above example.

This should be easy to fix, by making dc2_exit_opening walkable (and be detected as immediately solving the level).

Thanks for reporting this bug! I'll drop a note here when I have fixed this.
RTADash

Post by RTADash »

Holger wrote:Very good point -- I never thought of such a situation, to be honest!
It can also be troublesome in level 9 of the original boulderdash levelset (with all those fireflies coming at you)
Those who can't learn will teach; those who can't teach will learn.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> This should be easy to fix, by making dc2_exit_opening walkable (and be
> detected as immediately solving the level).

These changes indeed fixed this bug! (The fix will be available with the next version.)

> It can also be troublesome in level 9 of the original boulderdash levelset
> (with all those fireflies coming at you)

Yes... Unfortunately, there's no BD style exit at the moment, so BD levels should probably be converted with the EM style exit instead of the R'n'D style exit until there's better BD support in R'n'D available.