Set Speed action works only for player 1

Found a bug in R'n'D? Report it here!

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

r0lZ

Set Speed action works only for player 1

Post by r0lZ »

All is explained in the title. If you change the speed with a CE (for example with Set Speed = Frozen) only player 1 is affected. Player 2 can still move normally.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

This is not a bug.

The player whose speed changes is the "Player Triggering Change". If no player triggers the change, then the game uses Player 1 by default. So the speed of other players can be changed, but you need to cause them to somehow trigger the change.

While this isn't a bug, it would be nice to have another box where you can choose which player the CE action affects: 1, 2, 3, 4, ANY, TRIGGER, or ALL.
Sort of like the "Exit Player" CE action.
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
r0lZ

Post by r0lZ »

OK, and I agree with your suggestion.
Zomis

Post by Zomis »

Daniel H. wrote:While this isn't a bug, it would be nice to have another box where you can choose which player the CE action affects: 1, 2, 3, 4, ANY, TRIGGER, or ALL.
Sort of like the "Exit Player" CE action.
What is the difference between ANY and ALL? (Or ANY and TRIGGER?)

Anyways, I also agree with this and hope Holger will deal with this soon. But I guess it's up to him which features to implement when.
Daniel H.

Post by Daniel H. »

Zomis wrote:What is the difference between ANY and ALL? (Or ANY and TRIGGER?)
I don't know. Maybe there isn't one. :oops:
The H. World levelset can be downloaded from http://www.bd-fans.com/RnD.html -- search The H. World on that page.
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> The player whose speed changes is the "Player Triggering Change". If no
> player triggers the change, then the game uses Player 1 by default. So the
> speed of other players can be changed, but you need to cause them to
> somehow trigger the change.

> While this isn't a bug, it would be nice to have another box where you can
> choose which player the CE action affects: 1, 2, 3, 4, ANY, TRIGGER, or ALL.

Not sure about this now -- I think it could indeed be seen as a bug, as the default action of changing _all_ players speed is maybe more logical as changing only the first player's speed.

> What is the difference between ANY and ALL? (Or ANY and TRIGGER?)

Well, I think it's more a linguistical difference -- "ANY" is used in cases where there can be one in a set of actions (like "touch on any side" -- "touch on all sides" would be wrong here), while "ALL" is used when more than one entity is affected ("change speed of all players"). It may be possible that I haven't used this as consistently as I should... :-/
r0lZ

Post by r0lZ »

Holger wrote:Not sure about this now -- I think it could indeed be seen as a bug, as the default action of changing _all_ players speed is maybe more logical as changing only the first player's speed.
I agree totally! ;)

BTW, I have another question related to linguistical differences. I have tried the two change conditions "pressed by player" and "switched by player", and I cannot notify any difference. Is it one?
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> I have tried the two change conditions "pressed by player" and "switched
> by player", and I cannot notify any difference. Is it one?

Definitely yes! :-)

As soon as you understand it, it's very easy: "Pressing" is a continued action, while "switching" means "pressing once until the key is released again" -- this is especially useful if you build a toggle switch from a CE that toggles its state when being pressed once (like the "light switch"): If you would use "when pressed" here, you could held the key down and the switch would quickly toggle between its two states. When using "when switched", the switch would work as expected: Pressing and keeping the pressed key hold down would only toggle the switch once -- to switch again, you would have to release the key and press it again! This is very useful for many "button" style elements that trigger an action where you want to distinguish between single and continued action triggers.
r0lZ

Post by r0lZ »

That's exactly what I needed to know. In XOR, it is probably better to use "switched", to be sure that the user doesn't trigger two actions consecutively by mistake. Great!