RnD on Windows using Visual C++ 6?

Discussion around programming R'n'D, its source code and its tools.

Moderators: Flumminator, Zomis

CFSworks

RnD on Windows using Visual C++ 6?

Post by CFSworks »

Hi, I'm trying to get a semi-modified version of RnD compiled on Windows using Visual C++ 6.0, but it doesn't compile. It yells about various syntax errors. Not on MinGW, though, but MinGW doesn't work standalone.

But, what can I say? They wouldn't be Microsoft if they didn't change everything around.
Flumminator

Re: RnD on Windows using Visual C++ 6?

Post by Flumminator »

Cannot say anything about Visual C++ (for i have never used it), sorry, but what do you mean with
CFSworks wrote:but MinGW doesn't work standalone.
?

iirc MinGW that could create executables that work standalone, in contrast to cygwin.
Flumminator->PostCounter += 1;
Holger
Site Admin

Post by Holger »

> Hi, I'm trying to get a semi-modified version of RnD compiled on Windows
> using Visual C++ 6.0, but it doesn't compile. It yells about various syntax
> errors.

Well, as C is not C++, this may likely be the case. But if Visual C++ (which I do not know at all) contains a plain C compiler (which I assume), and if you have used that plain C compiler for trying to compile R'n'D (which I also assume here for simplicity), could you then give some examples (compiler output -- only the first few lines) of the detected syntax errors?

(There are also some warnings when compiling R'n'D with newer versions of gcc, so it may be possible that there are bugs in my code which did not show up under gcc.)

> Not on MinGW, though, but MinGW doesn't work standalone.

So you actually _can_ compile it with MinGW? Why does it not work standalone? (In fact, the Windows version of R'n'D is built using a cross-compiler version of MinGW, which perfectly creates standalone binaries.)

Maybe you are just missing the SDL libraries for the resulting binary?

> But, what can I say? They wouldn't be Microsoft if they didn't change
> everything around.

That may be true. ;-)

But if you should get it to work with MS Visual C++ in the end, I would be happy if you could let me know what changes were needed for it, so I could adjust my code to have it also compilable with that compiler.
CFSworks

Post by CFSworks »

Well, I could probably look around on MSDN for something like that.

What I mean by the standalone things... It puts in a few headers and operating system patches. Nothing much.

The other thing I recently got was Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++ 4.0(for porthing to PocketPC) and I already have the SDL working on my PocketPC, I just need to get it to compile(first on Microsoft Visual C++ then on Microsoft eMbedded Visual C++)
uyi2121

Post by uyi2121 »

Well, I had the same problem... but i have found it... here is a program that I made in c++ to show the use of it... Me and my friends were fighting over who gets to sleep where (party at his house) and I was like why don't I just make a program!?!?!? so I made this one and it should show you how to use it... well, just mail me if u dont understand something... glad to help =p

// random name generator

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
string names = "Jordan", names1 = "Stephen", names2 = "Pat", names3 = "Steven";
int pick, i,j;
int picks[4];
srand((unsigned)time(0));
for(i = 0; i < 4; i++)
{
do
{
pick = (rand()%4)+1;
if(pick != picks[1] && pick != picks[2] && pick != picks[3] && pick != picks[4])
{
picks[i+1] = pick;
break;
}
}while(1);
}
for(i = 0; i < 4; i++)
{
switch(picks[i+1])
{
case 1:
cout << i+1 << ") " << names << '\n';